Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

The Happy Couple

Brief post tonight. I just got home from our elder meeting and need to get to bed fairly soon. Lots of things on tomorrow's agenda, including getting all the supplies for that tricky plumbing job on Thursday. I want to go in with every part that might be even remotely necessary, plus the backer board, adhesive and tile. If the plumbing portion goes smoothly and I don't have any leaks when they turn the water back on at noon I may spend the afternoon putting up that board and tile.
They've come out with a relatively new product to replace the cement board that has been the standard for backing behind tile. I'm not sure what it's made of but it reminds me a little of Masonite, just 1/2" thick. (They also have a 1/4" version.) It can be cut by simply scoring and snapping, like drywall, and doesn't create the fine dust you get from cement board.
There's also a new tile mastic that has polymers mixed in.
I don't know why, but if it's new it must be improved, right?

Or not.
Gay bishops is a fairly new thing, but certainly not an improvement.
Did you see that Bishop Gene Robinson, the openly gay Episcopal bishop whose ordination started an exodus from that denomination, has been pegged to offer the invocation at the first of the official inauguration day activities?
One of the question I used to pose to my pastoral studies students involved a scenario in which they are asked to deliver a prayer at a public event. Would they offer a prayer at an interfaith event where Muslims, Hindus or Jehovah's Witnesses would also be giving a prayer? What if, in consideration of Jews in attendance, they were asked not to mention Jesus Christ in their prayer?
Gay rights activists insisted Pastor Rick Warren be pulled from the program. Is there a point at which Pastor Warren should pull himself?

The frigid weather in the midwest is national news. I thought today about how high our heating bills ran during winters in our 3-story, century old, radiator heated house. It was not uncommon for a winter month's bill to be over $350. I can't imagine what the new residents of 3494 Perry are spending in these conditions. Meanwhile, we had the windows and doors open today to get the warm breeze moving through the house. We are 70 degrees warmer than west Michigan. Go figure!

More in my head, but no time or energy to get it out into this blog. I guess you'll just have to come back tomorrow night to read about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Pam was your first and only wife!??! Who's that chick in the picture with you? Or was that one of your early modeling gigs for Bride Magazine?