Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I do what the voices inside my wife's head tell me to do.


Set Back
When Steve was checking the link pins last Saturday he pointed out how bad the tie rod ends were. He also suggested I tighten down the right front wheel because the bearing had a little too much play. This morning I did that tightening, except it didn't reduce the play at all.
I went down this afternoon to get the new tie rod ends and took that drum with its bearings and races along to see if I'd done something wrong. No, all is as it should be and he can't explain why it has extra play. Not critical though; let it go.
But while we were talking he got out his micrometer and checked the drum. Drat! It's been turned way too many times and is well beyond tolerance. If the right front drum is too worn it's almost certain the others are, too. When he comes a week from Saturday to do the right axle shaft he'll check the other three but I'm assuming Ilsa needs four new drums. And that's an expense I hadn't planned for.
This project is going on an indefinite hiatus. I don't want to spend too much too fast and I also don't want to cut corners that involve safety.

Set Aside
Pathway's current sermon series is working through Romans. We've done the first section (Sin, chapt. 1-3) and last Sunday did the transition to the second (Salvation, chapt. 4-5). This Sunday we're going to take a one-week break from Romans and talk about names. I read an article last week in USAToday that touched my heart and got me thinking about spiritual names. I told them when we started Romans we'd take a break from time to time and this needs to be one of them. Besides, they've done a great job of focusing on some pretty heavy biblical truth the last several weeks.

Set Off
Today I went to the bank to get money for those tie rod ends. I had to wait for a teller and couldn't help butt notice the young lady standing in front of me. She was wearing jeans that had those sequin things in a fancy patter between the rear pockets. Why? This was not a gal who needed to draw attention to that part of her anatomy; it was doing just fine at that all by itself.
I'm assuming she looked at those on the rack and thought, "Those are really cute" and never considered the real life application of that feature.
Sermon illustration there somewhere.

Set Up
Q: How do you get an English major off your front porch?
A: Pay him for the pizza.
I read the first part of a TIME article about the amount of student loan debt many recent graduates are carrying. The accompanying graphic included pictures of grads, their degree and the amount of their debt. One of them was a young lady with a Bachelors Degree in English and $30,000 of student loans to repay.
What??? What admissions counselor talked you into a degree in English? And how could you be smart enough to graduate and dumb enough to choose that degree, never mind run up that kind of debt in the process.
Here's how it works: whether it's a college degree or the restoration of a '62 Beetle, when you see costs rising faster than expected and insufficient funds to maintain the pace you either drop the project or take a break. If you choose to barrel full speed ahead don't complain when your chickens come home to roost.
Oh, wait! Today the President announced a plan to help you, poor college grad with a degree any pizza delivery guy could have told you was worthless. It will cap your loan payments at 10% of your income and allow you to consolidate loans for a lower rate.
Once again the govt. turns the foolish into victims who deserve our rescue.
Grrrr.

5 comments:

Sue said...

I see what you mean, but I think any bachelor's degree is useful in that it says to a potential employer, "I can stick with something difficult and finish it." I mean, how useful are a lot of the degrees you can get from GBC unless you're a man whose planning to go into full time ministry? Using your logic I could say to myself, wow, my parents and I wasted a lot of money.

Sue said...

I mean, "who's." Oops. Maybe I should've gotten a degree in English. =)

Craig MacDonald said...

I think you just made my case and made a worthwhile observation about GBC at the same time.
Some people can afford an education for education's sake. I wish I could! But if you can't, don't ask me to pay for it on your behalf or complain about a worthless degree.
If the "sticking with it" part works with employers then the degree has market value. But I think that's a tough case to make these days.

steve_macd said...

In order to get an MAI designation, one of the many qualifications for an appraiser is a Bachelor's Degree. The major is not improtant - just the degree. I don't know the official "why" behind the requirement - but I suspect it is the same as Sue's point.

While I got a groupon for half off my tuition because my father was a prof - I count my degree a good investment. Even though I am not working in my field of study - I learned critical thinking; research and study methods; and came to appreciate the value of a collared shirt and PG-13 movies.

Sue said...

Don't forget your minor in foosball, Steve. That's come in handy for me over the years time and time again.