Sunday, November 13, 2011

"My parents only had one argument in forty-five years. It lasted forty-three years." - Cathy Ladman

Chia Bug

I left from church and drove over to Glendale Community College for a VW show and swap meet. It started at 8 a.m. and rain showers probably kept some owners at home. By the time I got there, around 11:30, there weren't many cars left relative to the number of slots that looked like they had been occupied. I was disappointed in what I saw. (as always, click to enlarge)

I think I only saw one Bug that was stock, but even it had significant engine modifications. All the rest were modified to one degree or another, some severely. A Beetle can be a relatively inexpensive custom compared to the more typical hot rod candidate so a lot of middle age and young guys go to work on theirs. Drop it, narrow the beam, modify the engine with dual carbs, electronic ignition, chrome everything, and a monster stereo system. Some will even "bag" it - install an air bag suspension that allows them to raise and lower it. A local VW club was there in force with a row of customs, some with engine modifications I couldn't figure out. Others illustrated the axiom, "Not everything that can be done should be done." 

And the swap meet vendors still there had junk. I wasn't looking for any parts but I learn by looking. And what I learned is that some people will try to sell anything.

From there I drove out to Tonopah to see Pat and find out how the body is progressing. Not what I'd hoped but...
He says he's about 30 minutes worth of work away from putting on the special epoxy primer. At the last minute he found another small dent he wants to fix. He's using the 2-part epoxy primer because it fills in all the minor surface scratches. After that he "blocks" the body, which means finding any imperfections - areas where things aren't just right - fixing them and spot-priming. Then it cures for 3 days before getting paint followed by clear coat. 
He promised to have it primed by next Sunday, so I should drive out to take pics. From there to paint is...??? And he told me today that I'll get the body but not the fenders. He hasn't done the work on them yet. That's because he wants me to have the body so work on the restoration can progress. If I can put the body back on the chassis I can do the interior work and put the fenders on near the end. 

I told Pat I was surprised at what I'd seen at the VW show - that 95% of them were heavily modified and much of that was done poorly. He said that's because they're starting with incomplete or damaged cars and it's easier to turn them into mods using aftermarket parts - body and engine. See that gray car lower left above? That's a late '50's "Oval" which is rare and valuable. Same with that hideous pink one, upper right. Why would somebody do that?? Pat says it's because they can mix and match fenders, lights, deck lids - whatever they need without the time and money of getting year-correct parts for a true restoration. 

The Beetles that won first place in each of the divisions (based on vintage) were still there and I told Pat I think I would have won the pre-'65 easily. He readily agreed based on what he's doing and his knowledge of what I've done. He also upped his estimate of what my car will be worth... significantly. 
Keeps me motivated even if I am delayed. 

Now I'm home. I've had supper and the football game is on. My back started up with spasms halfway through church this morning and locked up on me by the time I left, so I'm sitting here braced with more Ibuprofen than I want to admit and a heating pad. My goal is to stay awake until 8:00. Monday is not even on my radar screen.

1 comment:

Sue said...

What? That pink one is the best one!