Friday, December 23, 2011

Some people leave their mark on the world. Others leave a stain.



On Christmas Eve eve Home Depot is nearly deserted and there are almost no women in the store. Which means there are no women in the Ladies Restroom.
Yeah, that was almost a FAIL.

Idiot: the guy so intent on getting those last fluid ounces of gas into his Honda that he overfills it and spills a pint on the ground...with the engine running!

The final report on the Pathway email blast is in. Of the 100,000 sent, 10,852 were opened and 1,327 clicked through to our website. Outstanding numbers! We were told to expect  4-6% of those who opened would click through and instead we got 12.2%. Imagine if 1% of those visit!

I called Pat again today and we talked. The car will not be done this year and the odds for the first week of 2012 are slim at best. I suggested that he give me a call when he's ready to paint (end of next week??) so I could take pictures and/or video. He thought that was cool. "You've seen every other part of the process, so you should see this, too!" I asked because I would like to, but this also means he'll be calling me instead of the other way around, and I'll have some advance notice that he's actually getting something done.

Imprimis (Latin for "first things") is the publication of Hillsdale College in Michigan. It's free, which is why I get it. That, and it makes the mail carrier think I'm smart. It comes every two weeks and only has one article per, but they're really, really deep. Sometimes I can tell what they're about.

The article I read today was actually an interview with the president of the college, Larry Arn, who has more advanced degrees than I have shirts. He was asked questions about the current state of affairs in our country in light of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. It was fascinating, and one of those times when I realize there are people out there who know things I didn't even know were out there to know. I think it's fair to say Dr. Arn is what's called a constitutional scholar and he did a great job of explaining how the core principles of those documents shed light on how we got in this mess. (Hint: he doesn't think we're sticking to those principles.)

I enjoyed the article, learned from it, and respected his knowledge and understanding. He has a thorough knowledge of our country's key documents (incl. the Federalist Papers which I've heard a lot about and never read) and that knowledge gives him the ability to understand the big picture.

As I read the article I thought about the current field of Republican candidates. I don't get the sense that most of them know. It seems to me they have slogans, rubrics, sound bites... in short, a bumper sticker approach to our problems. That's why they so often say something completely clueless. They're not smart, not scholars by any stretch on any subject, never mind the principles behind our government's structure and function.

Regardless of what they think of him, everyone seems to agree Gingrich is really smart and knowledgable about civics. His nickname is "the professor." Same assessment on Ron Paul, whose views are arguably the most unusual. Romney?
Is Mitt Romney really smart and versed in government or just really good at politics? 'cause they ain't the same thing.

1 comment:

Jen said...

My lovely friend Bailey will be a freshman at Hillsdale in the fall. She *is* quite smart (National Merit Scholarship Finalist). Since she was my pianist for homeschool choir and counseled at Northern last summer, she asked me to write a letter of recommendation for her. I think that's the scariest thing I've ever done. *gulp*