Friday, January 13, 2012

In the early 50's doctors here and in Europe prescribed the drug Thalidomide to help pregnant women with morning sickness. It took several years before they figured out the drug was also causing severe birth defects. The most common was a failure of the long bones in the body to develop properly. Some babies were born without any arms or legs, others with hands up near their shoulders and very short legs. I vividly remember Life Magazine photos of "Thalidomide Babies." Because the drug was widely prescribed there were lots of those children, most of whom are now senior citizens, though the drug was used longer in Europe than in the U.S.

A few days ago Thomas Quasthoff announced his retirement at age 52 from the concert stage. He's a German baritone with a huge voice and a very successful career singing classical music, including opera.
As this clip reminds us, don't judge a book by its cover.

And this is a cool church but I don't think it's suited to my preaching style.
Church in Wroclaw, Poland
It's a 360 degree view, so move with your mouse or using the controls at the bottom.

They've had their first significant snow of the season back in Grand Rapids. I check out the Wood TV website daily to keep up with news back in our old stomping grounds and the traffic cam images of white everywhere remind me how much I don't miss winter weather. Unless that winter weather is 70 degrees and sunny with 7% humidity.

That's all I got tonight. Long day, lots accomplished but I'm paying the price. A cup of coffee, maybe a brownie, and bed.

No comments: