Thursday, February 9, 2012

"I like life. It's something to do." - Ronnie Shakes



Jim sent me another addictive site about cars called Bring a Trailer, so named because the cars they post are so sweet you might as well bring a trailer when you go to look at any one of them because you'll want to take it home. One of today's featured autos is a '93 Lancia for sale in Canada. The car isn't legal here in the States because it lacks some of the smog and safety features our laws require, but will be in 2018 because cars 25 years and older get a waiver. Someone posted a comment saying they find it ironic that in the U.S. you can legally own an entire arsenal of weapons designed solely for the purpose of killing the maximum number of people in the minimum amount of time, but not a '93 Lancia.
Agreed.

Which is to say I support the Second Amendment, but common sense should prevail here as elsewhere. Just as free speech doesn't extend to yelling "Fire" in a theater the right to bear arms has - or should have - reasonable limitations. We prohibit private ownership of hand grenades but not assault rifes. Huh?

I almost did it. Almost.
I went to the wood shop at lunch to cut the six 3/4" birch ply doors for the trailer cabinets. Two of the smaller doors came out of "drops" - pieces left over from cutting something else, in this case the two sides. That meant curved edges that had to first be squared. I was nearly done with that part of the process when a guy came over to tell me I should have done it differently.
The other four doors were cut from a 3'x4' sheet, the remnants of a 4'x4' sheet from which I cut the rear bulkhead. That sheet was too big for me to efficiently handle on the table saw so another gentleman helped by standing on the back side of the table saw and receiving the pieces as I passed them through. He was friendly and gracious.
They're not all grumpy and condescending.

I don't know why my mind went there, but it occurred to me this morning that tsunami's never happen on their own. There's always a precipitating cause like an earthquake, or Godzilla stomping his foot in the harbor. So the tsunami is always the second half of a one-two punch, but sometimes the first punch falls short.
I know, it's meaningless. But most of what runs through my brain is.

Or, I could have spent my time doing this.

Stupid, Part One:
Name your kid "Blue Ivy" (Beyonce & Jay-Z)
Stupid, Part Two:
File paperwork to trademark the name.
'cause we all wanted to use that one.

I read today that Mexican authorities seized 15 tons of pure meth at a ranch in the State of Jalisco. The article said meth is usually cut with three to five times of filler, so that's an incredible amount of street-grade product, over $4 billion. Incredible.
But one of the things that struck me as I read the article is that no arrests were made because when the authorities arrived at the ranch no one was present.
Am I the only one who has trouble believing a drub cartel leaves $4 billion of anything laying around without at least a small army to guard it?
I'm thinkin' somebody got a phone call.

I need more R&R on my iPod for workouts. Queen is great for that purpose but I've listened to them too much. I'm inclined to get an entire album from iTunes but most come with non-workout cuts - too slow.
Recommendations?
Joan Jett?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, since the JZ/Beyonce birth, two individuals have tried to trademark the name Blue Ivy Carter (unsuccessfully).

I noticed the 1964 Chrysler station wagon on your linked site. I loved the '61 Chrysler New Yorker w/the push button automatic transmission we drove as teenagers. It had class (& room for 10).

Jim said...

Queen? Joan Jett? Whoa. And I think myself hip when I occasionally turn on Pink Floyd or Talking Heads. I bow to your coolness. ;->

Anonymous said...

Beatles: Twist And Shout

Bachman Turner Overdrive: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Boston: Piece of Mind

Doobie Brothers: China Grove

Earth Wind & Fire: Getaway

Heart: Barracuda

Lighthouse: One Fine Morning

Marshall Tucker Band: Fire on the Mountain

Want more?!

John in Shoreline

Craig MacDonald said...

John, you are the master of rockin' music of all types! I doff my hat - and now head over to iTunes.

Anonymous said...

A few more to keep you movin':

Danny and the Juniors: At the Hop

Beach Boys: Dance, Dance, Dance

Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band: Old Time Rock and Roll

Chicago: 25 or 6 to 4

Chicago: Sing, Sing, Sing

Deep Purple: Smoke on the Water

Journey: Don't Stop Believin'

Linda Ronstadt: Heat Wave

Manfred Mann: Blinded By the Light

Paul Revere & The Raiders: Good Thing

The Rascal's: Good Lovin'

Republica: Ready To Go (not of our generation but will get you moving!)

Ringo Starr: It Don't Come Easy

Stevie Nicks: Edge of Seventeen

Three Dog Night: Eli's Coming

Tower of Power: Down to the Nightclub