Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When arguing with a fool make sure he isn't doing the same.



I had an 8 a.m. dr. appointment so I took my stuff with me and stopped at Paradise Bakery on the way home for an orange poppyseed muffin, coffee, and work. To drown out the distracting noise of surrounding conversations I used my earbuds and cranked up Mozart's Requiem in D Minor, a personal favorite.

Sitting across the room, directly in front of me was a gal who might have been 30, also working on her laptop, yellow pad to her right. With her sat what I assume was her grandmother (great grandmother?). This woman looked to be near 90, was very frail, and I'm not sure in full possession of her faculties. The younger gal took great care of her, gently helping her on and off the chair to go to the restroom, and at one point moving to a booth because it seems the chair was getting uncomfortable. Obvious compassion.

Poignant. And exemplary.
I stopped at their booth to say thank you on my way out.

The dr. was the pulmonologist, who had the preliminary results of my sleep study last week. I do not have sleep apnea, at least not sufficiently to address. My REM sleep is at the lower end of the normal scale, but again, within acceptable limits. My thyroid levels are too low so he's increasing my dose of synthroid, and I go back in two months.
That's OK. I told him I can and will learn to deal with whatever, so long as there are no problems that can create other, more serious problems. IMHO too many people in this corner of the globe want the ideal life financially, physically, relationally....
It ain't gonna happen, not on this side of eternity. That's one reason we look forward to the resurrection. Undue efforts to achieve a state of perpetual ease and comfort generally lead to trouble of a different kind, often worse. So if lousy sleep isn't indicative of anything more than lousy sleep I'll adapt.

The new trailer hinge came in today's mail and I worked this afternoon on installation. It's clearly a superior hinge both in design and execution, but it attaches differently from the old one - over the skin instead of under it. That results in a less-than-ideal final outcome. I don't think it will leak, at least I hope not. I've caulked it thoroughly. But cosmetically it doesn't look like I wish it did.
D.V., pics of the finished project in tomorrow evening's post.

OK. last night I went on a bit of a rant 'bout folk who would confuse an Irishman with a Scot. What some take for dour we highlanders understand to be surpassing dignity. Not that we're beyond a little fun.
The Scotsman

And on that fine note, dinner, a shower, and an elder meeting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mozart's Requiem in D Minor is a personal favorite of mine also. In times of stress or boredom I sometimes find that I'm quietly humming the tune to the Lacrimosa, one of the most sublime pieces of music ever written.
My favorite recording is Sir Neville Mariner conducting the Academy and Chorus of St. Martin-in-the Fields.

Mike H.