Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Time is what we want most but what we use worst." - William Penn


This will be brief. I know I haven't posted in a couple of days, and it's not like there isn't plenty to catch up on, but I don't have time for that now. Priorities.

I'm sitting in a retreat - something like a studio apartment above the garage at Bruce & Debbie's place. I posted pictures of their 1-acre Shangri-La when I was here two years ago so I won't do that now. I stayed in one of the bedrooms in the house then, but this time I got what has to rate as something close to the ultimate man cave, even if it is 15' above grade.

Here are a few pics from our last day in OR. That's called Battle Rock because Capt. Vancouver dropped off some of his men on it to battle the hostile Native Americans that, for some crazy reason, didn't think it was a good idea to be invaded by a bunch of strangers who wanted to take over. I took this picture a few hours earlier. By the time we got down there the tide was coming in and it would have been tricky to climb up and get back without getting my feet wet. Besides, the sign said the top of the rock is covered in Poison Oak.

I climbed Humbug Mtn, though. It's described as a challenging hike and it is. This is the sign at the bottom. So, you climb to 1,748' in 1.5 miles, because it's a 3-mile loop. For Phoenix people, Piestewa Peak is 1,200' in 1.2 miles. I went up as fast as my legs would carry me. I didn't run it - couldn't - but walked it at a very brisk pace. Did the same coming down. Struggled to move the next day.
But it's a beautiful trail and I saw lots of interesting things.

Like these little things. Have no idea what they are and I've never seen anything similar. They're about 10" tall and look very delicate.

When I get to the top, drenched in sweat, I was met with this view. Yeah, a little disappointing. I expected a grand vista of the coastline and what I got was a peek through some big trees. Oh well. I got some great exercise in a beautiful setting.

After dropping Pam off at SFO I drove to Hollister and went to the new church Bob & Marla attend, and then spent the rest of Sunday and Monday with them. Yesterday morning I drove 3.5 hours south here to Solvang where Bruce & Debbie live. I'll enjoy their good company for the day and then head home about 8 p.m. tonight. That puts me in L.A. about 10 p.m. (less traffic) and crossing the desert in the middle of the night. (It was 114 in Phoenix yesterday.)

When I get back I've got lots of work to do to be ready for Sunday, but I'll try to catch up, including a report on my time in Hollister & Solvang. Good stuff.

Right now, down to the house for a gourmet b'fast Debbie will have made. I give it that assessment without knowing what she's fixed, just because everything Debbie makes deserves that description.

More anon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me throw my nature nerd card here...your white "plant" friends you showed in your picture is what I have always known as indian pipe (a.k.a. ghost plant). You can learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora
they are a very interesting plant seeing that they are not a fungus but a plant without chlorophyl so they cannot produce their own nutrients but feed on others like a fungus. Pretty neat thing that you don't see very often. Nice find.

Craig MacDonald said...

No nerd card, just cool info! Thanks for the ID.