Sunday, November 23, 2014

In about 30 years nursing homes will be filled with old people arguing about how Metallica changed after getting short haircuts.


People at church wondered if the surgery site was painful. Uncomfortable is a better word, and the bigger problem was this head cold. I had less energy than normal, but some might argue that's an improvement over my normal.

I'm trying to work on the truck's brake system but I'm having trouble finding the fittings I need. The new hoses don't work with the old fittings I saved during disassembly, but I can't find new fittings for the configuration I'm working with. Tomorrow I'm going back to NAPA to talk to Ken, a guy who builds custom rods in his spare time. Word is he'll be able to locate and get what I need.

I want to have the brakes done by Friday. That's when the kids are coming over for our Thanksgiving meal (Josh & Aubri and kids will be at her folks' on Thursday) and they're going to help me put the cab on the frame. That will cover up much of the brake system, so if I have it done by then life will be a lot simpler.

I recorded today's F1 season finale from Abu Dhabi because it was televised while I was at church. I'll probably watch it tomorrow but in the process of checking ESPN for football scores I saw the results. Drat!
They need to create a way for people to block content from sports sites before the page opens so they don't learn outcomes of events they're going to watch later.
At least it was the result I hoped for.

Admission: I haven't had the time or focus to carefully read through the President's immigration action. But the summaries I have read not only don't bother me, I like what he's done and think Congress could do a lot worse than codify it legislatively. His plan ignores some key dimensions of the problem, like border security, and I wonder how thorough the background checks will be. The govt. doesn't have a great track record for keeping track of the bad guys. But not only is it not amnesty (see last night's post) but what I've read seems both fair and reasonable.

If there's a problem with his action it's not the what, but the how. I understand (and share) his frustration with Congress, but it was pretty much a stick in the eye, and guarantees an even greater adversarial relationship for the remaining two years of his term. If there's anything we've learned about politics it's that payback is the defining dynamic.

That said, I gotta admit I might have done the same thing. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

A week ago I preached from the first five verses of Isaiah 40. Verses four and five provide the lyrics for two of the sections from Handel's Messiah, so as an aside I asked how many of them couldn't help but sing those two tunes in their head as they heard the verses read.
None of them.
Turns out none of them knew the tunes.
Or any of the others from the Messiah.
This is what's wrong with America.

No comments: