Friday, November 21, 2014

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Snore and you sleep alone." - Anthony Burgess


First, a word of explanation for my absence of late.
The last few days have been especially busy due to a set of circumstances that are too complicated to explain and well outside your "I care" zone. But everything is fine.

"Fine" is a relative term tonight.
This morning I was at the Ambulatory Surgery Center so Dr. Brown, a plastic surgeon, could close up the hole in my right cheek left from the digging Dr. Furness the dermatologist did to get all the melanoma out. I was told ahead of the procedure that it would take 15-20 minutes but I have no recollection of the better part of 90 minutes.
Pam got me home and into my chair where I spent the next couple of hours sleeping off whatever that was they pumped into my left arm. Then I popped a pill that put me back into lala land. No more of that! From here on out we're doing it on Tylenol.
Why would anyone take that stuff recreationally??

It doesn't feel real good, but that's to be expected and time will take care of that. I have to keep it covered for the first 24 hours and I'll cover it for Sunday morning's work. We had to change the dressing to take care of a bleeding problem and...it ain't pretty yet. But again, the bottom line is I had cancer, it's gone, and the procedures to accomplish that were simple and straightforward. The cancer is gone and two weeks from now any after-effects will be, too.

I know two ladies, both young mothers and both coincidentally named Rachel, currently fighting ovarian cancer. There's the real battleground, the place where the stakes are the highest.

We did have a near crisis here today. The coffee maker died.
I disapprove of Walmart's business model and avoid shopping there. But an emergency is an emergency, and Pam knew I wouldn't raise a fuss if she drove up there for a replacement.
I'll do the post-op without the oxy-whatever, but coffee is essential.

I met a lady the other day named Effie. She was exactly what you'd expect - well into her 80's, tiny, and more than a little feisty.

Pam's about to bring dinner over and I've already pushed the limits of my coherency.
I'll be back tomorrow night.

No comments: