Friday, November 28, 2014

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." - Alfred Adler


I've had colds, and each one feels like death is imminent. I don't think I've ever had a cold quite like this, and part of me thinks death would be welcomed relief. For a little over a day I thought I'd gotten a tiny metal fragment in my right eye from drilling holes in the truck's frame for brake line clips. Last night I figured out that didn't happen; the on/off burning in my right eye is part of this cold (sinus infection?). I get shooting pains running from my right sinus into that eye, and being out in the sun is almost more than my head can take.

The kids are coming over for our Thanksgiving family meal. (I'm typing this part of the post mid-afternoon.) We set this up a couple of weeks ago, and I asked them to come over a bit early to help me get the truck cab off its dolly and onto the frame. I have everything set up in the driveway ready for that brief effort and then they'll sit down to dinner. I'm going to self-quarantine back in our bedroom. They don't want to be around a blubbering mess who has no energy and winces inexplicably, and I don't want to impose that on them. And as much as I love my family - and it's more than I can describe - I can tell by little cues throughout the day that right now I wouldn't enjoy their company.
Can you spell irritable?

(90 minutes later, holed up in our bedroom...)

Getting the cab on the frame went well. I thought about having Michelle video the move with the iPad but she was busy tending to Jason, and that seemed like a more critical use of her time and skills.

I had the rear wheels off so we didn't have to move past them while carrying the cab up from the back of the frame. And I needed to adjust the brake pads, so it made sense to do that earlier today. After we had the cab in place we rolled the whole thing out into the street, turned it around, and then rolled it back into the garage so the nose was out. I'll be busy working at that end of things for weeks, and this way I can roll it out into the driveway for better light and more room.

The outside of the cab is done - wet sanded with five progressively finer grits (from 1000 to 2400) and then buffed with an electric wheel and two progressively finer compounds. I still have to do the interior of the cab. Then I'll go to work on things like a new wiring harness, gauges, the pedals and linkages, windshield and rear window, flooring, seat....
Plenty to keep me busy.

The goal is to have this on the road by spring. Unless I hit snags I think that's possible, but as with restoring old houses, expect the unexpected. For example, I'm missing part of the linkage between the clutch pedal and the clutch, and don't know how hard that will be to locate. Also, on a list of life's priorities a lot of things can arise that outrank truck restoration. So if it's months later, no big deal. But tonight feels like a major step forward.

No comments: