Friday, February 27, 2015

"Parents were invented to make children happy by giving them something to ignore." - Ogden Nash


In my continuing search for good news I've been watching the PBS NewsHour and enjoying it. None of the caffeinated friendliness of network news, just substance with a disregard for style. And in something of a surprise to me, it's not at all nerdy.

I spent about 90 minutes sanding one of the truck's doors. If you're in the right frame of mind that's therapeutic, and I was there this afternoon. My Nora Jones channel on Pandora helps. I still have to sand it with one higher grit (320) and then do the other door, but I hope to paint them next week along with the front fenders, which also just need a going-over with that finer grit.

Tomorrow we're going to the dog show in Scottsdale and it's supposed to rain all day Sunday and Monday, so it will be at least Tuesday before I can shoot. And probably Wednesday before the humidity is back down to normal desert levels.

Fred Rogers died 12 years ago today. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. He was a good man.

Last night I ran out of steam halfway through a one-hour program we were watching on Nat Geo Wild. Pam stayed up to watch the rest of it but I couldn't keep my eyes open or brain engaged, so at the 30-minute mark I hit record. When I called it up this evening the entire 60 minutes was recorded. How come? And why does that happen with some shows but not all?

Years ago while prepping a lesson for my homiletics class I came across an adage that stuck with me. I don't know if it stuck with the students I passed it on to.
Every sermon should have something for them to think about (an intellectual element), something to feel (an emotional element), and something to do (a behavioral element).

Good days are like good sermons, and this was a good day. In addition to the reading I did, I had three conversations, each of which was particularly stimulating. Between them they provided all three elements in significant measure.
Blessed.

And pooped. I may be a bit hung over from the gravel shoveling of the last two days.

1 comment: