Monday, August 24, 2015

"I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her." - Rodney Dangerfield


My next door neighbor got a letter from the HOA and he, too, is in trouble. He has a golf cart, and it seems you're not allowed to park them "on landscaping." Apparently the gravel we all have in our back "yards" (front, too) counts as landscaping, and the two wheels that weren't on his patio slab constitute a violation.
The HOA board only acts when they've rec'd a complaint from someone in the neighborhood. His egregious flaunting of the regulations is not visible from the street, making it fairly easy to figure out who called the board. Only six houses have a view of his back yard. Two of those are empty because the owners are seasonal residents, and two wouldn't think of calling the HOA on such a silly matter. The fifth house has a back yard surrounded by a 6' block wall.
Number six is our neighbor on the other side, the same folks we've suspected complained about me having derelict vehicles parked in the driveway and running a business out of our home.

The average age in Sun City is 83. I don't know if the grumps have always been thus or if old age moved them toward a generally disagreeable disposition. It does seem that there are two kinds of old people - those who are fun, easy folk with interesting life stories to tell, and those who were hall monitors in fourth grade and never outgrew that mindset.

I've looked to see what kind of weather I should expect for the 12 days I'm in Costa Rica.
Fascinating.
For the next 10 days the high every day is going to be 83, the low every night is going to be between 66 and 68, and they will have thunderstorms every day that begin around noon and end by 6 p.m. We're not talking showers, but real rain that drops 1/2" in the matter of a couple of hours.
Sunrise is at 5:30 a.m. and sunset is at 5:50 p.m.
Welcome to the tropics.

The garage walls are cleared of all the tools I had hanging there and dressed up with a fresh coat of paint. I went to Home Depot and asked for the cheapest paint they had suitable for garage walls and the gal pointed me to a Behr product at $13.50 a gallon that's labeled "Dead White." In this case that adjective apparently refers to the fact it has no sheen, but the term struck me funny.

I have the driver side door and fender sanded and ready for paint and the passenger fender sanded. It will take me about another hour to sand that door, and then a couple of hours to thoroughly mask all the surrounding areas. I'd hoped to paint tomorrow but it will probably be Wednesday. It has to happen early in the day - after sunrise but before mid-morning and triple digit temps. Our realtor comes at 1:00 tomorrow to do the paperwork for listing the house and we have some things we want to get done before she arrives. And they've included a decent chance of rain tomorrow.

I got the second of the two sermons for Costa Rica done this afternoon. That felt good.
Went from there to the gym where, for no reason that I can come up with, I did a double workout. That didn't feel good.

No comments: