Wednesday, April 12, 2017

"Have you ever noticed what 'golf' spells backwards?" - Al Boliska


Another quick disconnected post. I'm in Salem, OR for breakfast. Denny's is quick and easy, close to the freeway, and decent. Once again I'm impressed by the waitresses at these places. They're hard working, generally pleasant, and the kind of people who pay their bills, keep their nose clean, and deserve a country that works.

Thinking about the Mustang as I eat. I got so pessimistic about the truck because I kept hitting snag after snag. Definitely a love/hate relationship. This gas tank snafu has been frustrating but overall I'm looking forward to getting the car "done" (it will always be a work in progress because old cars, like old houses, require regular attention) and driving it daily.

Getting the interior refreshed makes a difference. The improvements I made over the weekend have it looking a lot better in there, and that inspires me. I still have to paint some areas on the doors that are nicked up, get new door cards, and maybe get new carpet, but I think Sally's going to be a fun car.
Wish it was a manual tranny, tho.

Last night at small group we spent the last 10 minutes of our discussion time talking about how informal worship services have become. I didn't listen to the voice in my head saying, "Just keep your mouth shut and let them talk." I expressed my concern that we've lost a sense of the transcendence of God in our worship services as reflected by our attire and the coffee cup we carry to our seats...supplied by the 4 tables with 8 carafes each placed near each entry door.

"We wouldn't walk into court downtown with a coffee cup, so why do we think that's appropriate when we come together into the presence of God?"

A: "But we're always in the presence of God, even here in this living room."

So, is there anything unique and overriding about a corporate worship service?

And that led to an even briefer discussion of who the worship service is for. The consensus: both believers and unbelievers. So I posed the question, where in the NT does it say the church service is intended for unbelievers? Hmmm. One of the gals who is no slouch re. biblical knowledge said there were several passages. "Name one." Ummmmm.

Is that part of the problem? Have we structured worship services for an audience the Bible doesn't envision being in attendance? And if/when unbelievers do come in are we cheating them out of a picture of what it means to worship a holy and transcendent God? Are our attempts to make them feel comfortable really depriving them of an encounter with the Something bigger they need in their life?

I'm in Seattle now having visited dad at the rehab center, attended a meeting with all his caregivers, and gone to Spiro's (great pizza) with mom and my older brother over from Spokane. I'm writing this from the folks' unit at Ida Culver where I can get online. But I'm typing while visiting, which is a bit rude.

I was reminded after that meeting that tomorrow is my folks' anniversary,  72 years. That's a long time!

Don't know when I'll post next. I drive home Friday, so maybe Friday night, though if I have time and access before then.

My suggestion? Don't live to be 94. The most ordinary tasks become major challenges.


No comments: