Monday, April 17, 2017

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work." - Milton Friedman


This has been a very good day!

  • I mucked out the barn and the goats didn't dump the wheel barrow after I had it loaded.
  • I made a deer cover for the raised bed that Pam plantedSaturday. It's a PVC frame that I'll attach the chicken wire to tomorrow. I didn't really have a plan, just made it up as I went along, but I think it's gonna work well. 
  • I worked on getting the irrigation pump installed but stopped because I'm missing one fitting that I'll get tomorrow.
  • Then I went to work on Sally. I got the pin and hole lined up inside the door, took one of the smaller hairpin clips I got yesterday, and in ONE try got it installed. ONE!! The window now rolls all the way up, and even better, stays there. 
  • Just as I was finishing that up the UPS driver showed up with the O-ring for the gas tank fix. I worked very carefully and deliberately, following the advice I got off the Vintage Mustang forum, including packing the O-ring groove with Vaseline. It all went together smoothly (that scared me), and then I poured in about 6 gallons of gas. NO LEAKS!! I stood there for about 15 minutes just staring at the ground underneath the car exulting in the absence of gas coming out of the bottom of the tank. I've seen that once already and it ain't any fun. 
I didn't put the door card back on after fixing the window regulator because it's ratty and needs to be replaced. Same on the passenger side. But I don't want to order them now and have them delivered when we're in Michigan, so I'll order them from there so they arrive shortly after we get home. I did use some 0000 steel wool to polish up the chrome handles and cranks and they cleaned up nicely. 
Sally's coming together!!

After that list of unmitigated successes - OK, except for the pump install, and that wasn't a failure as much as a delay - I decided not to push my luck. So I went across the creek for a walk in our woods just because it's so pretty over there. Especially with the Alders beginning to bud and the spring running full bore. 

Pam made a good dinner and then we watched some of the British shows we record from PBS. We like "DC Banks," which was tonight's feature event. British cop shows are nothing like ours and a lot better. Almost no violence, no car chases, no sex or innuendo. Just a crime and an eventual solve. Pretty cerebral by comparison, which is to say it's targeted to adults instead of 14-year old boys. Add "The Coroner," "Dr. Blake Mystery," and "Midsomer Murders" and we're all set. The BBC version of Sherlock Holmes is good, too, but not our favorite. 

Now, bedtime. Tomorrow we'll spend the morning in town, starting with Pam at Bible study and me at Starbucks writing in section four. Then to the feed store and the hardware store to get more PVC supplies for the irrigation pump. Back into town at 5:00 for our small group gathering. Tuesday's are busy. 

Did I mention how happy I am that both of today's car projects were a success?!
SO different from the way things went with the truck.

No comments: