Saturday, April 15, 2017

"You grow up the day you have the first real laugh at yourself." - Ethel Barrymore


We had a beautiful warm and sunny day. I took full advantage of it by getting the garden boxes ready, doing some work on the goat barn, working on the irrigation pump, and wrenching on Sally.

It occurred to me the other day that we have an entire generation that thinks the primary meaning of the word trolling has to do with hassling someone on the internet.

At lunch I watched the first few minutes of a hockey game between Boston and Ottawa. The Canadians have a much cooler national anthem. I'm not a Canuck and even I'm moved by it.
Hockey is the opposite of baseball. One features frenetic action the entire time and the other ...
doesn't.

In 1966 Mustangs came with both 13" and 14" wheels. If a car came from the factory with 13" and was later fitted with the larger wheels the speedometer and odometer will, as a result, be inaccurate.
Will the speedometer show a speed faster or slower than the true speed??
I tried to figure that out but in 20 seconds I had smoke coming out of my ears from overheated circuits.
I *think* it will show a speed slower than true speed. At least I'm hoping so. Because I think that's what happened to Sally and would explain why, when I'm driving into town on Hwy 126, I'm keeping up with traffic flow but only going 50 mph.
Or not.
I have a speedo app on my phone so I'll find out next week if there's a discrepancy, and if so, how big.

Depending on who you believe President Trump is either making the world a very dangerous place, finally taking action to deal with some seriously bad actors, freeing up the military to do what they do best, or ruining years of careful statesmanship with monster bombs and missiles.

We lost another chicken. We let them out of the pen mid-morning to roam and scavenge wherever they want. As dusk approaches they instinctively go back into the coop and roost. Hence the adage about chickens coming home to roost. I go out about 7:30 to shut the goats in the barn (they also bed down in their safe space) so predators can't get to them and shut up the chicken pen for the same reason. When I did my head count last night I came up one short.
One of the hens has always been independent. For the most part they move in a group from one spot to another as they hunt for bugs, but one hen has always roamed on her own, separate from the rest. But because we have two of each breed we don't know if that's the one missing or if it's another.
And did she just wander off or fall prey to a hawk, dog, or.....

Today I learned the Beetles song "Let It Be," written by Paul McCartney, is NOT a reference to Jesus' mother, but to Paul's own mother, Mary McCartney who died when Paul was 14. It imagines that she comes to him when he's stressed and tells him to just relax and "let it be."
Bet you didn't know that either!
Well now you do.
And that's why you keep coming back!

No comments: