Friday, May 12, 2017

"My mother buried three husbands - and two of them were only napping." - Rita Rudner


Staccato:

I left at 1:45 a.m. on Tuesday and arrived at Steve & Michelle's house just before midnight 22 hours later. (see! I can do math.) It's a long 1,206 miles but it was a bit more interesting this time because a full moon gave the drive into NoCal an unusual look.

I listened to The Count of Monte Cristo almost the entire time and got through 32 of 117 chapters. It's a LONG book. Unlike any of the other Librivox recordings I've listened to this one is done by about 8-10 different readers, some of whom are much better than others The WORST is the female with a very thick French accent whose pronunciation of some words is unintelligible, and speaks so  quickly that even if her diction were good (it isn't) I'd have trouble given the amount of road noise I have.
Next worst is the woman with the French Canadian accent.
Why would they do that??? I've lost whole sections of the plot at key points because I can't make sense of what they're saying.

This classic novel was written by Alexandre Dumas. Each reader announces the title, the author, the chapter number, and the date of their reading before beginning their assigned section. It's interesting to hear how different people pronounce the author's name. Some say "Alexander" and others put those last two letters into their pronunciation. Some pronounce the final S of his last name while some give it the slightly guttural A with no S. So far nobody has pronounced it Dumbass.

Pam is dog sick. She started yesterday with the horrible cold I got two days after we got back from MI, and I suspect she got her version on her flight down. I feel bad for her; we get so little time with our family, and she is such a total grammy, that this is a huge bummer for her.

I'm at a Starbucks for a quick cup of coffee before heading 50 minutes to Mesa for the wedding rehearsal, which is followed with lunch at a Mexican cafe. Pam was supposed to come with me but she's in bed. It's been at least 12 years since I did a wedding and I had to review some of the protocols.

Yesterday I went north of Phx to Desert Valley Auto Parts and got four stock steel 14" wheels for Sally. I think I got the only 4 they had, and because I couldn't find any in the State of OR I was happy. They charge $75 per wheel unless you buy a full set like I did, in which case you pay $250. Still a significant amount, but wheels need to be correct, and the 80's chrome wheels currently on the car are just unacceptable. I'll wait to install them until I can afford the correct '66 hubcaps.

Tomorrow's wedding starts at 5 p.m. .... outdoors. In AZ. In May. High temps are supposed to be in the upper 90's and Liz says there's no shade for the wedding party. We'll be in semi-formal attire (a suit for me). Hmmm.

Can Trump last four years? I wonder.
Whether or not he acted appropriately in every regard, Comey seems like a man of class and character.

My version of The Cold of 2017 isn't completely done, so I still have a congestion headache and a cough waiting to pounce. I'm hoping that the wedding rehearsal today and the ceremony tomorrow will key in enough adrenalin to keep me unaware of that.
And coffee.

Maybe something thoughtful in the next post, and some reports on time with family. (pics?) Right now they're at work all day and I'm doing wedding stuff.

No comments: