Wednesday, June 21, 2017

"When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half." - Gracie Allen


Our internet has been mostly MIA today. Mostly that's just an inconvenience, but sometimes it's more problematic. For that I can drive down the hill and use my phone. But I'm hoping that Friday's visit by the Dish tech gets us back online reliably, even if slowly.
Yesterday's tech actually suggested we switch to DSL. s'pose his supervisor approves?
Our switching will happen if/when that Verizon tower 1/4 mile from our house is up and working. Can you spell tethering?

I think my toe is a little better today. Less swelling. I tried to go for a run but turned around after about 100 yards, deciding I don't want to ruin that improvement by pounding the pavement for 40 minutes.

Sundae lumbers as she walks, but shows no signs of labor. Marta is going to stop by tomorrow morning to check on her. I'm eager to hear what she has to say. As total newbies we don't know what to expect, what's normal, or what are signs of trouble.

I bought two bales of wheat straw today. There's something manly about going into a feed store and ordering bales of hay or straw and then driving around back to get them. It's so much cooler than placing an order at the fast food joint.

Oregon is one messed up state.
They just raised a tax on all hospitals and medical facilities to fund medical services for the homelss and low income people.
I've never seen a place that provides as much for the homeless, including tiny houses for them. Surprise!! Last year the population of homeless in Eugene went up 5% last years.
In Douglas County, just south of Lane Country where we live they've closed all the libraries for lack of funding.
The state govt. anticipated marijuana tax revenues for 2015 to 2017 to be $10.7 million. As it turns out, for just 2016 it came in at $60.2 million and it shows no signs of slowing for 2017.
I will not vote for any tax increase for any purpose until someone explains to me how a $50 million windfall doesn't pay the bills.

There's more, but even as I type this our internet connection is going in and out. I'm going to hit "Publish" and call it good. We often go for cheap pizza in Veneta on Thursday nights, so maybe we'll take our laptops and snag their internet and hope it's all better after Friday's work.

No comments: