Monday, August 14, 2017

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat." - Ann Landers


I did four miles today after lunch and it didn't feel good. I kept telling myself that if it was easy everyone would do it.
I'll go into a hard/easy rotation as part of the training for the 1/2 marathon, so tomorrow I'll do 2-3 miles or go down to the H.S. track and do speed work (speed being a relative term in my case).

I also made a Marionberry pie this afternoon. I did everything the same with the crust but it didn't roll out well at all. Wanted to break up instead of staying pliable. That meant the edges where the top and bottom crust meet got gnarly. But since it's mostly about the taste I'll not fret it.
Besides, I'm eating a slice now and it's really quite good.
Marionberries are a hybrid of two varieties of blackberry developed years ago at Oregon State. I planted four of them shortly after we moved here and this is our first crop. They are really good and I think I'll plant more next spring. You get the canes (like vines) one year and they bear fruit the next. While they're bearing the next set of canes is growing. So it will be a year before we get berries from any new plants, but that's OK.

I'm hoping our rhubarb plant gives enough for a pie or two. So far it's not looking promising.

A couple of weeks ago I put some Techron in Sally's gas tank and then filled it up. That's legit stuff that I discovered when I had my Yamaha motorcycle with four cylinders and four carbs very sensitive to any crud particles in gas. Whenever the carbs started acting up I'd run some Techron through and it always solved the problem.
I think it's done the same for Sally's carb. I had to readjust the idle because it had gotten way too high, and also leaned out the air/gas mixture some. She's running well and I like driving her.

The only problem is that all the interior parts are made of metal (old school), not plastic. The center console has several parts, including two compartments with lids that rattle as I drive. If they were plastic I wouldn't hear it, but this is driving me CRAZY. So in the next day or two I'll see if I can either tighten or pad all the points that might be the source of the rattle.

AJ and Burrito are six weeks old. In another 10 days I'll give them their first vaccinations with a booster at 8 weeks, and at 10 weeks band them so they become wethers. At three months they will be weaned. And therein lies a problem.
The normal method for weaning kids is to separate them from their mamma by putting them in a separate pasture, something I don't have. I've got the space, but the funds to put up the fencing and another shelter is something we'd rather skip. So we've been looking at alternatives.
Some people have taped the dam's teats with success, but from what I've read that usually doesn't work. Either the dam or the kids chew the tape off, momma because she gets pretty uncomfortable for the first couple of days as her udder fills up, and the kids because they want milk!
Another option if for Pam to make a no-nurse bra, a fabric bag that will go over Sundae's udder and be held in place by straps over her back, her rump, and her shoulders. We've seen a couple of mockups online but they're pretty rough looking and people report that here too dams and kids are pretty resourceful at tearing it off.
In the ideal world Sundae would decide she's tired of feeding those two and wean them on her own. She already walks away after just a few seconds, and both kids are starting to eat alfalfa hay with vigor, so we might get lucky.
We shouldn't wean any sooner than 3 months, but waiting longer than that delays the time for Sundae's next breeding. And we're in this to get meat, so maximizing the breeding schedule is part of the routine.

No comments: