Monday, October 23, 2017

"Most of what we call management consists of making it difficult for people to get their work done." - Peter Drucker



If you're not watching "Shetland" on PBS you need to fix that. Turn on closed captioning because the thick Scottish brogue can sometimes be hard to understand, but it's well worth the effort. Typical BBC cop show, nothing like ours, that engages your mind and draws you into the characters. I don't know how you end up with a main character named Perez on a Scottish island out in the North Sea, but you can't help but like the guy even if he is stoic and distant (i.e., Scottish).

<---- after="" cleared.="" fog="" had="" living="" of="" our="" out="" p="" room="" the="" view="" window="">I have no idea why all that garbled text is in there, and I can't get rid of it.
<---- after="" cleared.="" fog="" had="" living="" of="" our="" out="" p="" room="" the="" view="" window=""> thing about having farm animals is that they come to count on you showing up every morning and evening. This morning was in the low 50's and after the weekend's hard rains a fog had settled in that had the view out the windows with the just-visible Alder trees in full color looking like something out of a painting. Add in my cup of hot coffee and Vaughan Williams's music and I just wanted to stay in my chair for a good long sit. Alas, AJ and Burrito thought I should come out and feed them. And once they got started Stella and Sundae decided to join in.

This fall has brought something I don't remember from last year - GIANT flying beetles of some kind. June bugs on steroids. If I turn on the porch light they come from somewhere close by in swarms within seconds. They're the size of my thumb and apparently blind, because they'll fly right into my head.
This is a problem because last year I had to remove the screen from the inside of the bathroom window in order to fix the 50-year old crank that opens it, or rather didn't open it. That screen was built into MoHo at the time of construction and was not meant to be removed...ever. I had to cut it out.
Last year I rigged up a fan that hangs over the top of that window to exhaust the humid air when we shower so the black mold only has to be cleaned off the walls every six weeks instead of every six days.
Now we either have to wait until after daylight to shower or put up with a dozen of those bugs in the bathroom. In the middle of winter that means showers come progressively later in the morning.
I may need to make work of coming up with a new screen, eh?

I did 8 miles today at a fairly brisk pace that turned out to be a PR. That's the last run of any significant distance until Saturday's race. I'll do 4 tomorrow and maybe Wednesday, but those will be easy, loping runs just to stay loose. I *think* I'm ready.
<-------- a="" an="" and="" apparently="" could="" doesn="" earlier="" grand="" hats="" her="" here="" i="" in="" is="" it="" ladies="" me="" might="" mom="" nbsp="" of="" old="" one="" own="" p="" pam="" pic="" plastic="" post="" put="" rain="" raining="" rapids.="" rapids="" s="" selfie="" sent="" she="" so="" stay="" suggested="" t="" those="" today.="" today="" took="" umbrella.="" wear.="" wearing="">

No comments: