Sunday, April 15, 2018

"The past is really almost as much a work of the imagination as the future." - Jessamyn West


Today and tomorrow are going to be wet and cool but then we clear out for the rest of the week. I hope to take full advantage of the dry weather to get a lot of projects done outside, including the garden beds ready for Pam's planting of the year's veggies. That project includes emptying the first of the two compost bins and working that into the raised beds. Then I'll put the content of the second bin into #1, turning it in the process. That leaves bin #2 empty for the next 12 months of compostables.

I hope that Todd brings me the 5 tons of gravel so I can also begin the work of spreading that along the newly created paths and top dressing the old paths. He's bringing 1.5" instead of what I got last time - 3/4". That should last longer because it won't so easily disappear down into the mud as it gets foot and vehicle traffic.

Pam noticed a lump on Dolly's right side just behind her front leg so I checked when I fed last night. Yep. It's a little bigger than a golf ball, slightly soft, and moves a bit when you put pressure on it. I contacted Marta and she reminded me that's the area where shots are usually given. Apparently it's not unusual for a cyst to form there. She said I should keep an eye on it and be concerned only if it grows or changes into a hard mass.

Sundae is noticeably larger with each passing week and her udder is growing. She's now five weeks away from kidding and, as with women, the last month of pregnancy brings the most noticeable growth.

People who want to get married in the worst way usually do.

I got the tung oil on the cabinets this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll cut the countertop, get the mineral oil rubbed in, and maybe get it installed. I would have done it this afternoon but I have to cut it outside and doing that in the rain didn't seem like a good idea.

Before church this morning I had an extended conversation with a woman I think is probably in her 80's and who was in the first small group we attended. She's really nice, quiet, but once engaged in conversation clearly bright and thoughtful. She told me about her son who is 50 and who was diagnosed five years ago with early onset Alzheimer's. It has progressed far enough that he can't be left alone lest he wander off and get lost (it's already happened), he can't remember what he did a few hours ago...all the classic symptoms.
One of the interesting things she told me was that he uses his cell phone a lot. The family has the GPS tracking turned on so that if he does get lost they can use it to locate him. And he takes pictures of things, like the baseball game they went to, so he can remember that he did that.
He's going to come visit her next month for a week so his wife, a college prof, can have a needed break from his care. She's worried about taking care of him because his wife says she will notice his deterioration since she saw him last.

There's some really difficult and sad things in life. Listening to her story made me feel very sad for her and angry at some of the really trivial stuff people complain about.

Our PBS station just started airing a new series, "The Tunnel." It's a progressive story (one story line that stretches out over a series of episodes) about the cooperation of a British detective and a French detective over a crime that happened in the tunnel that crosses between the two countries under the English Channel. They are polar opposite personalities and do NOT like each other but are forced to work together on what turns out to be a connected series of serious crimes. We watched the opening episode this afternoon while eating lunch. It was good. We have closed captioning on so we can catch all the dialogue spoken with a thick British accent and then they provide closed captioning for the dialogue that's spoken in French. So there's a lot to keep track of. Very different.

No comments: