Thursday, October 11, 2018

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own" - Les Dawson


It's odd how life sometimes sends a particular thing in waves. I'm in a "wait for it" wave that's testing my patience. And I have very little of it to test.

On Sept. 19 we filed via fax the form that officially requests Pam's medical records from the hospital here. Those records should have arrived by now so yesterday I called the corporate office in Vancouver WA and was told they have nothing in her file that shows a request was ever made. Hmmm.
The gal I talked to was very apologetic and said I should file another request, this time via email. Per her instructions I included in my email a request for confirmation of receipt, an ETA for the records and some specifics about how we wanted to receive them. I'd sent the email within 30 minutes of that conversation - early afternoon yesterday - and heard nothing back. I'll give it 24 hours and then make another call.

Sundae is, as they say, off her feed. She typically shows no interest in her a.m. mash and eats her evening mash unenthusiastically. She also acts oddly during the day. She'll stand a foot from the barn wall and just stare at it, or wander off to a corner of the pen and just stand there staring off into space. She shows no other signs of distress or symptoms of disease. I'll give her some probiotic today just because digestive troubles can happen easily and that's the standard cure. If she doesn't show improvement soon I'll take her temperature (yeah, that's a fun task). But for now all I can do is wait and see if she gets worse or better and respond accordingly.

There's more "wait for it" stuff but that will have to wait.

I don't know anything about the life cycle of the lady bug but it apparently includes finding someplace warm and humid to spend the Oregon winter. The last two autumns have brought clumps of them to the bathroom walls near the ceiling. Last spring I put in a new bathroom window to replace the leaky jalousie window MoHo came with, a window that didn't close tightly and left plenty of gaps for the lady bugs to use as an entrance. I don't know how they're getting in this year. So far we've only got about 10 of the little critters whereas we had dozens before. So maybe the new window makes the difference.

I read that Social Security benefits are going to rise 2.8% next year. Now we can take that trip to Bermuda! (Or maybe Roseburg.)

I had a PT appointment this morning and have two scheduled for next week (T & Th). I think that will be it. I'm doing much better, have a set of exercises to do to continue improving, and am reaady to be done with the drive into and out of town for my appointments. Ultimately it's Melissa's call but I think I'm going to suggest it's time.
I've also started back to the gym. I lost almost all of my conditioning over the last six weeks of near total inactivity. I'm hoping that with my weight down I can recover fairly quickly.

When I was a young buck and early in my time as a pastor I thought I wanted to be the pastor of a larger church with multiple staff. Read: ego.
Looking back I'm thankful God put me in relatively small churches. None of them ever hit 200 on a consistent basis. (90% of all churches in America are under 120.)
And when I see my friends in ministry who are senior pastors struggling with administrative issues related to staffing I'm even more thankful. Goodness.

No comments: