Thursday, January 10, 2019

"I thought growing older would take longer."


I work with a group of millennials. They're nice, very good at what they do, and easy to work with. I enjoy them. They also speak another language, apparently driven by a desire to increase verbal economy. It's not a devotional, it's a devo, thus saving two syllables. "Vacay" saves only one, but in a world fighting verbal pollution every syllable counts. "Fash" eliminates three from fashionable.
This puts me in an interesting predicament. Do I try to learn their language like I do when I go on my trips to a foreign country or do I stick with the traditional versions lest I look like the too-old guy wearing skinny jeans in a failed attempt to look hip?
I'm going to ask Mike to do the devotional at the senior luncheon I'm planning after I get back from a vacation which will include buying some not-fashionable shoes I'll get at the outlet mall in Glendale.

Sunday morning's class is going to be challenging. I have to cover the fall of the Northern Kingdom, the next 100 years of the Southern Kingdom, and then it's fall to Babylon and the resulting exile. I don't want them to feel overwhelmed with data so I need to decide what names, dates, and events to include and which to exclude.
I've made my slide presentation (31 slides so far) but I can spend more or less time talking about what's on each slide.

Is there a way to keep the government open but shut down Congress?
(I despair of any hope of shutting down the Oval Office.)

I want to go up to Seattle to visit mom shortly after we get back from AZ. That won't happen until the middle of February because...
Washington has known for decades that what's called the Viaduct (SR 99), a two-tiered highway through downtown Seattle, is structurally unsound (pun intended) in an area waiting for the next "big one." They've argued for most of those decades about how to remedy that problem and finally decided on a tunnel under a 2-mile stretch of downtown. It's set to open on Feb. 4 after $3.3 billion and sixteen years of construction.
In order to construct the transition from the old Viaduct to the new tunnel they need to shut down the Viaduct beginning tomorrow. For three weeks the 80,000 cars that daily use the viaduct to travel through Seattle going north and south have to find an alternate route. Many (most?) of them will use I-5, the already perpetually gridlocked freeway. As I drive into our out of Seattle the only times I haven't been jammed up is at 2 a.m. and Christmas morning.
Mom won't see me again until sometime after Feb. 4!

I downloaded a dozen pics of hood ornaments. At the luncheon they'll try to identify each car brand by its ornament. Some are really easy, like Mercedes, and some are tough, like a mid-50's Rambler, one of the coolest.
It's too bad they don't use hood ornaments anymore. Some of those were art (and are very collectible). 

No comments: