Saturday, January 5, 2019

"Many people aim at nothing and hit it with amazing precision." - Unknown


Re. the comment to last night's post, it really wasn't a big deal.
We were sitting in the studio room where all the mixing equipment it next to the recording room. Emerson had given us the tour (Joe and I with Emerson's wife Marcelli along) and we were now packed pretty tightly in the mixing room while Emerson played some music off his computer through the room's speakers. Really cool Brazilian music and amazing sound out of the room's speakers. As in, I'm not sure I've ever heard better.
Because it was a small room Marcelli was sitting in a chair behind me and to my right. I was in an office chair complete with arm rests and casters. I wanted to roll back to say something to her and as I pushed back with my feet two of the chair's five wheels hit the leading edge of an area rug and came to an abrupt stop. Before I knew it I was falling backward in the chair and couldn't do anything about it. This was one of those slow motion disasters you know won't end well but are powerless to stop.
The thing about laying on your back in an office chair is that you cannot get up. Your feet are up in the air because you're still in a sitting position, just on your back. And you can't roll to the side because the chair has arms. It turns out this is an amazing restraint device without the need for straps, chains, or hand cuffs.
The rest of them were horrified because their guest preacher/teacher is laying there helpless after falling over backwards. And he's not a spring chicken.
Nothing but my ego suffered the least bit of hurt and I almost instantly started laughing at myself and my predicament. I think that helped them relax a bit, but they still wasted NO time pulling me up and out of that chair. Then we all had a good laugh and went back to the music.
On my last day, when saying goodbye to Emerson and Marcelli (such great people!) I told them, "OK, I'm going to go home and practice sitting in a chair." We laughed together.

We recorded and just watched a two-episode "season" of Last Tango in Halifax on PBS (BBC). We loved it. The perfect blend of laugh-out-loud humor and some very poignant scenes. Apparently this pair was all of season three and BBC hasn't said whether or not they'll do a season four. I read that it's a favorite in the U.K. and I can see why.
All the episodes (20 total) are available on Netflix, so if you have that service you should check it out.

I talked to Marsha this morning at her bakery shop and asked why her cinnamon rolls are so light and mine are heavy. After some discussion we figured out that she's using pastry flour while I used all-purpose flour.
"Yeah, we did that once and ended up with rolls that were like bricks." She said they use all-purpose for scones but pastry flour is more finely ground and has less protein. Pam called around and found a store not far from church that carries it in 5 lb. bags so we'll get some tomorrow.
(Fred Meyer doesn't carry pastry flour.)

We agree that Buddy seems better. He still has gross sinuses in the morning but his normal energy level is returning and by the middle of the day he's mostly dried up. This make me especially glad I didn't do the $450 blood test!

Class tomorrow morning: I have ten pounds of potatoes to fit into a five pound sack.
Gonna have to talk REAL fast!
And take a nap in the afternoon.

No comments: