Sunday, January 13, 2019

"Sawdust is man glitter."


I'm at Starbucks for a cup o' joe before heading to church to teach my class. Normally we go together and leave in time for me to get to class 15 minutes early. Pam drops me off and goes to Starbucks for the internet while I teach. But with her in AZ I could leave the house much earlier than she'd want to and do my own fast surfing.

After class and church I'll grab lunch - McDonald's? - write my quiz and the small group discussion questions and then go home to prepare for my departure about 6 p.m.
Lots to do.

The passenger side mirror has been loose since we got the Blazer and it's now so bad that I'm not sure it will hang on for the drive to AZ and back. The plastic frame is cracked which allows the whole assembly to wobble, which makes the crack worse, which makes the wobble worse....
The only way to see if I can brace it is to take the inside door panel off, something I've been watching You Tube videos about. No, it won't go smoothly. But the alternative is not good, buying a NOS or even used mirror is pricey. So I'll give it a shot.
What's the worst that could happen? (Yeah, I know.)

This is a cool story.

On the way into town just now I heard a story on NPR Weekend Edition about a school resource officer (cop on campus) and a Black teen who was suspected by the cop of theft and how that played out in 2007. Not good. Both were interviewed, including a conversation between them, I'm assuming over the phone. Interestingly, both are now attorneys. Fascinating. And they both still have very different perspectives on what happened.
At the end of the story the reporter asked, "Do you have an unresolved issue with someone you'd like to talk with about that? Contact us at...."
Seemed a little Maury Povitch, but I get what they're after - more human interest stories.
Her question made me think who I would identify, who I'd like to talk with about a past and still unresolved conflict. And then it occurred to me that if there is someone like that it shouldn't take an NPR reporter to get me to get in touch with that person. My Christian ethic should take me there.

If I drive straight through with stops for gas, the occasional burger, and a nap or two it's about a 22 hour trip. The drive down the CA central valley is perhaps The Most Boring stretch I've ever done, and having made that drive a dozen times means I now know almost every part of it too well. (There's not that much to notice or remember.)
So this time I'm cutting over to Hwy 101 at the top of the east bay and going down through San Jose for a brief stop in Prunedale. I pastored there for 7 years and we still have dear friends who live there. I'm visiting with some of them Monday morning. That will make a very nice break at what is almost exactly the 1/2 point. The route adds about 90 minutes to the total drive but I think it will be well worth it in several ways.
The people are the best part!

Just out of church and eating lunch at Wendy's. Brett was even better than usual this morning (and he's usually very good). Nailed it.
Now to write the small group discussion questions based on his sermon, finish this burger, and get home to work on mirrors and packing. Six hours from now I want to be rested and on the road.
ROAD TRIP!!

No comments: