Monday, October 14, 2019

"The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts." - James Joyce



Brett, our pastor, has been elk hunting for the last few days (or as he calls it, elk hiking). In his absence a colleague who pastors a church in Iceland preached yesterday. Gunnar shared a quote he and his wife have found so helpful that they have it on their living room wall.

"I've learned to kiss the wave that slams me up against the Rock of Ages." - Charles Spurgeon.

That's a keeper.

His commitment to the thought behind that statement is particularly powerful because their 8-year old son just finished three years of treatment for leukemia. And their third child has a genetic condition so rare that only two other children in the world also have it. No one has ever survived the condition into early childhood and symptoms include seizures, severe cognitive limitations, and organ failure.
"Grace to help in time of need."

On one of my internet rabbit trails this morning I learned that the first radio program was broadcast by a Canadian inventor and radio pioneer named Reginald Fessenden. And the opening of that broadcast was a recording of Ombra Mai Fu. It's more commonly known as the Largo from Xerxes, a Handel opera that was a commercial failure and closed after six performances.
So don't feel so bad next time one of your efforts falls flat. Even G.F. Handel had bombs.

Yep. Tach is in place, all the wiring neat and tidy, and everything works as it should. Tomorrow I'll drive it into work and finally get a sense of how fast this car should be driven. I never take it over 60 mph but I'm concerned about over-revving the engine. Now I'll know what 60 mph is for the engine - loping easily or screaming at the edge.

We just got home from small group. I'm having a cup of coffee to go with the first (Marion berry) batch of cinnamon rolls and then it's bedtime. Tomorrow is the last rain free and reasonable temp day for the rest of the week so I'll get to work early so I'm home to get barns and coop cleaned and a few other outside chores done.

Boa noite.

No comments: