Sunday, October 6, 2019

"Hope is patience with the lamp lit." - Tertullian

Praise Jesus!!

We're in a stretch of rain free days so I'm taking advantage of them to get extra outside chores done.
Our old wood stove would take 18" pieces, and a bit longer if put in at an angle. This new, more efficient stove will only take 16" pieces so I have a LOT of wood (about 4 cords) that has to be cut down. I made a cradle (think cheesy church Christmas program) to hold each piece. Pam stands on one side with ONE hand holding the back of the piece against the mark I spray painted at 15" and I cut off the excess with the chainsaw. (Why is wood stove two words and chainsaw one?)
We got about 1/4 cord done yesterday that now has to be stacked. The short ends will be used with kindling to get the fire going and also loaded in at night when I stoke the fire before going to bed.

Other sunny day tasks include cleaning the barn, the weaning shed, and the chicken coop. I'm hoping to get a load of gravel brought in for the now-muddy driveway, and the garden beds need to be emptied of spent veg plants (though Pam will do most of that work).

When I drove her into town last Tuesday Sally showed ZERO oil pressure. I knew after one minute that was a false alarm because none of the catastrophic things that happen without oil pressure showed any signs of beginning.
Friday I installed a new sensor ($19) and that fixed the problem.
Oh, that all of life's problems were fixed that simply.
She's driving smartly and looking SO much better. And I'm getting lots of comments from people in parking lots. I'm curious to see if I get notes stuck under the wipers. That happened all the time with our '59 Olds.

The UofO Ducks and the UofW Huskies are arch-rivals. The weekend they play is tricky for me with our now divided loyalties. I've worn my Huskies shirt to church on that weekend just for the fun of it. This year there's hardly a point. The Ducks are undefeated and rising in the national polls and the Huskies, not so good.
Most Eugene people are rabid Ducks fans! That may be in part due to the fact that the nearest pro football team is 300 miles away, and the Portland Trailblazers are...the Portland Trailblazers.

It's nearing bedtime. A preacher's nap, stacking some firewood, walking a dog and feeding some goats. I had thoughts of going to the gym this afternoon but that changed to a day off to start the week.

We started a new year of Bible Project with almost 40 people attending this morning's class, almost half of them new. Thursday night I'll begin the next 4-week Continuing Ed course, this one on NT words that describe our salvation. So there's lots of lesson prep in my week, but I enjoy that so it's all OK.
And Portuguese. Every day some Portuguese. I will get this!

No comments: