Monday, July 4, 2011

"You can tell the ideals of a nation by its advertisements." - Norman Douglas

How many of those do you understand?
(I score zero)

I had such grand plans for the day. The bike ride set the tone with lower temps but much higher humidity. We've entered the monsoon season with dew points in the upper 60's. My average speed was lame but I got home drenched and exhausted.

I hoped to finish up the rear brakes and axle seals but that went south, too. The last person to do that job did several things wrong. No gasket on the left side, no oil drain on the right, wrong washers.... The manual says not to reuse the spacers if they're pitted, rusted or scored. How 'bout "d) - all of the above?" But I can't find anyplace selling new spacers or the missing oil drain. I also can't find front wheel cylinders. I don't have a plan but there's nothing I can do about it now anyway. Because I'm leaving for two weeks any parts I locate would be delivered while I'm gone. So I may do some searching while I'm gone, and if I find the parts I need I'll order them for delivery soon after I get back. I don't want to move on to the engine until I've got the chassis done but it may not work out that way. 

My friend Sherry sent me this:


This afternoon we started packing for vacation. Pam works tomorrow and I'm leaving in the wee hours of Wednesday morning so she had to do all of her packing today. I got most of mine done and even loaded some of the gear into the car. Tomorrow I'll finish up, get the oil changed and do some cleaning so we come home to a clean house. Oh yeah. I also have to go find a camping stove. I forgot that last year we borrowed S & M's but there's no reason not to invest in our own. 

Remember when getting ready for a trip included buying Traveler's Checks? Do they even make those anymore? I almost never carry cash, never mind Traveler's Checks. Debit card for everything. And I can't remember the last time I had change in my pocket. 

I've got a new book on my Kindle, new music for the drive and two books on CD. Ready to roll. Now? Ready for sleep!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had to score SOME points on the watch. Certainly anyone who had Mr. Thorsen for Algebra or Trig at Ballard will remember that 12 cubed (to the third power) is 1,728. So the cubed root of 1,728 is 12. The rest are more involved equations

steve_macd said...

let me know if you want to borrow the stove again

Anonymous said...

12-The cubed root of 1728; 1-Legendre's constant is a math constant occurring in a formula conjectured by Adrian-Marie Legendre, now known to be 1 2-A joke in the math world, An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first orders a beer. the second orders half a beer. the third a quarter beer. The bartender says,"
You're all idiots," and pours 2 beers. 3-A unicode character XML. 4-Modular arithmetic, a system of arithmetic for integers, where numbers "wrap around" after they reach a certain value. 5-The Golden Mean...reworked a little. 6-Three factorial 3 times 2 times 1 = 6. 7-Repeating decimal that rounds up to 7. 8-Graphical representation of binary code. 9-an example of a base-4 number, which uses the digits 0,1,2 and 3 to represent any real number. 10-a Binomial Coefficient. 11- an example of Hexadecimal encoding.
John Nuiver Geeeeeeek.

Craig MacDonald said...

Geek or genius, I don't know which. But I'm impressed!