Friday, July 8, 2011

You need a lot less than you think.


This is a bivy, a one person tent. It holds one sleeping bag and its occupant (me). No pad; we don't need no stinkin' pad! Don't try to sit up in bed or change your clothes. Climb in, zip it closed and go to sleep.
I love it. Takes about 3 minutes to set up, is small enough that body heat keeps it warm and it's water proof if it rains. (It didn't.)
I found the Big Fir campground online and it said I could get a tent spot for $20. It didn't tell me that I needed 50 cents for 5 minutes of hot water in the shower. Or that there was one shower and one toilet for all the males at the campground. OR that the owner would creep out the Coen brothers.

Note to self: before you go to bivy, if it's still light out, check to insure your dome light is OFF. 'cause when you're staying at the campground equivalent of the Bates Motel you do not want a dead battery in the morning. The panic that came over me when I crawled out and saw that lasted until the moment the car started, at which point I repeated many, many times, "T'ank you, Fadder!!"

This campground is about 5 miles off the freeway out in the middle of farm country. It looks to have about 40 spaces or so and most of them seem to be occupied by summer residents. Their older trailers look too established for overnighters. Satellite dishes, two vehicles, elaborate canopies.... I think it's mostly older people who "move" out there for the summer and/or people who haul their trailer out there and then commute into Portland or Vancouver for work. It's not like there's a lake or anything. Just trees.

I've seen some great cars along the trip. A couple at the campground has a late 50's Porsche, the old "bath tub" model. On the freeway yesterday I passed a Datsun 510. We owned one of those early in our marriage and getting passed was something we got used to.
Oregon has GREAT state parks along the coast but driving along I-5 will test anyone's patience. They have NO concept of "slower traffic keep right" despite the signs to that effect. AARRGH.
"Yeah, but I can see a semi about 2 miles ahead and I'll need to get by him."
And every fourth car is a Prius. Species: Oregonius Sancitmonius.

I indulged myself with a special treat along yesterday's route. It took me about 15 miles west of I-5 but the opportunity was too good to pass up. You can read about it here.
Some people stay in your mind, others stay in your heart.

In a little over 2 hours I'll pick Pam up at the Seattle airport and we'll head north to my folks. I called her last night and learned she's come down with a nasty cold and feels miserable. Not the way to start vacation. Hopefully it will be a short and mild edition so she can enjoy our camping.
And no, I don't subject her to a bivy. We have a 3-person tent and an inflatable mattress for the sleeping bags.
But before heading south to Fort Stevens State Park Sunday afternoon we'll spend time with my folks. Looking forward to seeing them, giving them a hug.
Love them a lot.

3 comments:

steve_macd said...

If Oregon = Prius then Seattle = Subaru.

Sue said...

Washington has signs on prime parking spots at the grocery store that say "Reserved for Green Cars".

Jen said...

Cool. It's so nice of them to think of me. ; )