Saturday, November 5, 2011

"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost



It's bad enough that I don't get invited to the neighborhood party they're having next door, but they rub my face in it by parking in front of our house. It's like High School all over again... except this time I don't care. Parties in Sun City stretch the definition of that term to the limit and the menu features sizable helpings of grumpiness. 


Steve had a flat tire and was two hours late getting here but I now have a new, straight right axle shaft. The first half of being smart is knowing when you're stupid and this was a task I had no business attempting. He showed up with the special VW manufactured tools required to pull the inner wheel bearing and remove the clip inside the transmission that holds the shaft in place. He struggled some with the job and he's the expert! Money well spent.
He measured the other three brake drums and the two rears are still within tolerances, so I only need to buy two. I also had him inspect the work I'd done since he was last here - adjust the bowden tube, replace the inner tie rod ends, set the clutch cable and a few other things - and it all passed muster. "I sure want to see this car when it's done." Oh yeah, one of my first trips will be down to his shop. He's been a huge help. 

Karting last night was a LOT of fun. We had some guests and the pizza time afterward provided  opportunity for good conversation. I was very pleased with the event on all counts. 

Joe Frazier has liver cancer and is in hospice. He and Ali provided what may be the greatest heavyweight fights of all time, especially the "Thrilla in Manilla." He's 67. 

Write it off to my cynical view of lawyers but I've noticed the attorney for Cain's anonymous victim is milking his 15 minutes of fame. If she's unwilling to speak about the events why is he in front of cameras? "I'm here to tell you she doesn't want to talk about this." 
Is he billing her for these hours or does it fall under his firm's advertising budget?

I've accepted an invitation for a speaking gig that isn't until next July but the topic has my brain buzzing already. Sometimes the assigned title sounds like a total snooze when the content that goes with it is anything but, and this is one of those cases. "The Authority of Scripture in a Post-Modern World" isn't exactly an eye-popper of a title (I have an aversion to anything that involves the term post-modern). But Pathway - and my ministry - are ALL about that issue. Pathway Bible Church defies conventional wisdom about young adults and what they want in a church, but conventional wisdom has it wrong. 

Full day tomorrow. I'm in my usual sermon eve wind-up, in second hour we'll begin the monarchy, and then after lunch we'll have our monthly elder meeting. They guys have schedules so hectic that we couldn't find a week night that worked. I'll be a babbling idiot by the time we get there but those guys are good enough that they hardly need me there.

For now, a shower during halftime of the LSU/'Bama game.

No comments: