Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"The size of the Federal budget is not an appropriate barometer of social conscience or charitable concern." - Ronald Reagan

So this is how they change the front tires. How do they change the back?


I went up to Starbucks this morning to use the free drink card I got from them for my birthday. I was pretty sure I knew how to do it, but rather than try and look like a fool I admitted my ignorance. "I want a peppermint latte, but I want it without 1,000 calories." He said they could make it with sugar free syrup and no-fat milk. "Yes please." Of course it required a muffin to keep it company. Both were good!

What an interesting place to people watch! Saw still more ladies in skin tight jeans with sparklies all over the butt. Why?? And while I don't know what the cut-off age is for women's low-rise jeans but I know there is one, and it's being exceeded by too many women, never mind younger women who have what it doesn't take.

In anticipation of getting the body back from paint in the (hopefully) not too distant future I'm doing research on the several decisions to be made. How close to the original do I want this to be? I can get very accurate repro German square weave carpet ($$$) or synthetic carpet that looks pretty close ($). The headliner in 1962 was mohair and in '63 VW switched to perforated vinyl. The latter is about half the price of the former. Similar options with the seat covers. This car is meant to be a driver, not a trailer queen, but I don't want to look at it a year from now and regret doing it on the cheap.

This Saturday is "Shop Small Saturday," the point of which is to keep retail dollars in the local community. I like that. But for the life of me I can't think of any neighborhood businesses I could patronize except for one-off restaurants. Every store I can think of around our house is a national chain. OK, there's a second hand store full of junk and old people, and several golf cart stores. So does dinner count?

I spent that time at Starbucks working on my sermon for Sunday. Except I ended up scrapping my plan and going a completely different direction. Sure hope it works.

Steve sent me this today:
What you do with a ski lift in summer
No way our govt. would let them get away with that here. Think harnesses, helmets. wrap-around cars...
So I guess I'll just have to travel to Europe next summer.

No comments: