Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work." - Peter Drucker

This ad will be the first in a series that will run every other week in The Thunderbolt, the newspaper circulated every Friday on nearby Luke Air Force Base. That ad run is the first of four outreach efforts we're beginning over the next two months.

I don't understand a lot of what goes on with the English language. You tie someone up. But the process of doing so is tying someone up. Why does it change from an "ie" to a "y?" And if you're tying them up and they die in the process are they tie died?

It was very windy here today, as in 30+ mph this morning. We had whitecaps on our 6'x8' lily pond and Jack's pee landed 10' down the street. He wanted to poop but he was facing downwind and he couldn't force it out.
This evening the wind has died down but the humidity has dropped to a crazy low 4% which makes for a dew point of -2 degrees.

I got both inner tie rod ends replaced. That task intimidated me beyond just the procedural steps. Going in I didn't know anything about front suspensions, including the meanings of weird terms like pitman arm and king pin. I do know that if you get it wrong several things can happen, none of them good. Uneven tire wear is the most benign; front wheels falling off or steering linkage coming loose lead to real trouble.
Now I know the terms and how it's all supposed to work. Doesn't mean it will, but if I end up flying off the road and into a ditch I'll have some clue why.
And I am now so filled with confidence that I've decided to add replacing the outer tie rod ends to the post-hiatus task list. The parts will run about $40, the ends now on the car are 50 years old, and doing the job now with the body off will be much easier than doing it later. I may even try rigging up a device so I can do my own front end alignment.

After wondering aloud here several nights ago if/when it would happen I see that today some in the press are comparing the allegations against Herman Cain with those against Clarence Thomas 20 years ago. In both cases it's hard to know if the accusations have merit. And if they do? Pres. Kennedy certainly wouldn't have held up to this scrutiny if it had been leveled on him. Hmmm.

Next time you screw something up at work give thanks you didn't do anything of this magnitude:
Miscalculation

This morning I worked on my sermon. Good stuff, this second half of Romans 3. Paul packs four really powerful salvation into two verses, words that shine a light on so glorious a salvation.

OK, a picture of a more entertaining nature, from my friend Jenny:

No comments: