Wednesday, December 7, 2011

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.


Went over to Matt's work this afternoon to record a couple of short video clips.
That was intimidating. Not my finest hour - or 72 seconds.

The temp inside the house was 63 this morning, but we got up to 66 this afternoon. Pam's baking so I think we're good for the night.

December is a busy month for pastors. But especially this year it's a good busy. And I like that it involves the kids of Pathway.

I've been thinking about this a lot.
We're a pluralistic society and if I want freedom of religion I should extend that same freedom to others. That means I shouldn't discriminate against someone based on their personal religious convictions, including rejecting them as a Presidential candidate.
A lot of Americans seem to think that, because when asked if they would vote for a Mormon the vast majority say yes.
But, I've been thinking about this a lot, and while I wish I didn't have to come to this conclusion,
I cannot vote for a Mormon for President, whether it's Mitt Romney or Jon Huntsman.

  • Mormonism is a secret religion. An active (as opposed to nominal) Mormon takes vows that are secret and bind them to keep the secrets of their religion on penalty of punishment in this life and the life to come. 
  • Mormonism is authoritative. The leaders of the Mormon Church believe they speak for God and the members of the Mormon Church are expected to obey their leaders completely. This isn't an abstract theory. The leaders tell Mormons which building to go to for services and which of several services at that building they are to attend. They are told how much to give to the church and if they don't give that amount they may be dismissed from the church - an action with eternal consequences. Think the excommunication of Roman Catholicism.
  • Mormonism is exclusive. With adequate conformity and after two interviews a Mormon can receive a Temple Recommend that allows him or her to participate in ceremonies - secret ceremonies at the nearest Temple. No one, not even a Mormon, without a Temple Recommend can enter the Temple except as a visitor on a tour. 
The President takes an oath of office in which he (she) pledges to support the Constitution of the United States. The tenets of the Mormon Church demand an allegiance to an earthly organization that supersedes all others. If Mr. Romney and Mr. Huntsman choose to be Mormons that is their right in this country where we hold fiercely to the freedom of religion. But the inherent conflict between the secretive, authoritative, and exclusive nature of Mormonism and the Presidential oath of office gives me sufficient pause to rule out voting for a Mormon.  

I realize that's a personal decision and each voter can and should make up their own mind on the matter. But this is a personal blog and I get to write whatever I'm thinking. (OK, not everything everything.) And I've been thinking about this a lot.

No comments: