Friday, December 2, 2011

When I want your opinion I'll remove the duct tape.

There's a sermon illustration here.

It was just before dawn when I took Jack for his morning walk, so I could see the house three blocks down where they put up the icicle lights that hang from eaves. He got the new LED version, which is why I could see them three blocks away. At first I thought, "Who put a gas station down the street while I was sleeping?" Not exactly a warm glow.

Walmart has a price guarantee program for the Christmas buying season. I heard the small print in their TV ad. If you find a lower price anywhere else they'll give you a Walmart gift card for the difference. Clever or sneaky, depending on your opinion of Walmart. I'm goin' with sneaky.

Herman Cain has been out on the campaign trail and therefore hasn't had a chance to talk to his wife in person about the latest allegations of a 13-year affair. He maintains he did not have an affair but did give this woman money to help her out - something he says he never told his wife. After he has a chance to go home this weekend and talk it over with Mrs. Cain he'll announce his decision about staying in the race.
I admire his courage. He's actually going home this weekend.

We're headed to Dillon's for dinner, meeting Mike & Karli there to make best use of a Groupon coupon. Ribs!

The press is describing his comment about children working after school as another Gingrich blunder. I wonder if those pundits are out of touch or if I'm really old fashioned.
I heard the tail end of an interview with the author (along with his wife) of The Entitlement Trap, a book about raising kids with the sense of ownership that only comes with personal investment. We're well past the child-raising years but I'm considering getting the book just because it sounds insightful.
Teens working in the school library or assisting the janitor or working in the cafeteria makes all kinds of sense IMHO, and I suspect most Americans would agree.
I guess we'll see. If people run the other direction I'll conclude I'm way out of touch (though not necessarily wrong). But I won't be surprised if parents like this idea. For poor children it gives them some income and teaches responsibility in the workplace. For more privileged kids, for whom the income isn't important the lessons on cause/effect on the job might be even more important.

No comments: