Sunday, March 18, 2012

Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?



Whew! That was a Sunday. Matt was out of town so I did the music part, too. That's almost more focal points than my mind can manage, but it's all good. Worship is not a performance activity, or a spectator activity. It's something we do together, corporately, and the guy up front just leads willing participants.
"'Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord."

The big news story here today is the weather. We've had high winds, rain, sun, and hail, with rapid switches back and forth. The only constant has been the cold temps. I'm not sure we hit 55 today.

I drive down the Loop 101 freeway and then across I-10 on my way to the school where we meet for church, leaving the house about 7:20. As I drove the four or five miles on the I-10 I passed a Mini-Moke. I've never seen one in the flesh before! He had the canvas top on and when I passed him he was pulling his jacket up around his lower face. He was cold! The speed limit for that stretch is 65 and he was in NO danger of breaking it.

Is it wrong to perform elective surgeries on severely disabled children?
Is it wrong to have a hysterectomy done on a young girl who will never have the mental function of a 2-year old but will, as far as anyone can tell, live a normal lifespan?
What if there was a medical procedure that would, for a severely disabled young child, a child who will never have the mental or physical ability to bear his or her own weight and will depend on others for every aspect of life, keep them physically small? Their adult caregivers would be better able to lift, dress, bathe, and feed them.
Such procedures are available. And very controversial.
I read this article on the "Ashley Procedure" before leaving for church. I think you should read it, too.
Thank you, Father, for giving us healthy sons. 
I cannot discern or judge.

Oh what a difference a day makes. I have ascended from the cellar to near the top in both of my brackets. But what goes up will come down. If this year's brackets hold true to previous years' patterns I'm in for another bungee cord ride, and you know where those always end. Nobody gets off at the bridge.

My dear wife almost always has something in the fridge for my dinner on the days she works. Because she does three 12-hour shifts a week she's not home on work days until sometime between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m. So I heat whatever she's prepared and placed front-and-center in the fridge. But busy schedules meant that she had a frozen pizza that I was to split between last night and tonight's dinner. I had the first half last night... BLECH! She got a different brand because it was on sale. We now know why. Way too many pieces of onion and green pepper, and the sauce was disgustingly sweet. I shiver just thinking about it.
Trashed!
The problem now - what do I have for tonight's dinner?
OK, all you holier-than-thou people who are saying, "Just go out in the kitchen and make yourself something." You clearly do not understand. First, I'd have to FIND the kitchen. Then there's all those drawers and doors; who knows what's in them? And what you do with it if you do find something edible. My impression is that it's often necessary to use that big white thing that gets hot, or the little white thing over it that doesn't get hot but makes what's in it hot. (Yeah, I should trust something like that?!)
I know there's jam somewhere in the fridge, and I might be able to find the peanut butter, but where's the bread? We have a bowl of bananas on the little table over by the window.
That's it!!!
Peanut butter covered bananas!

OK, it's all good.
See you tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Worship is not a performance activity, or a spectator activity."

Amen to that but so often forgotten.

John