Friday, March 16, 2012

If you're hearing crazy voices in your head you must be watching FOX News.



Dear AFLAC: You long ago jumped the shark. Please ditch the duck.

Major storm headed our way, expected to show up Saturday afternoon and last through most of Monday. Here in the valley we'll just have winds, much lower temps (highs of about 60 F), and up to an inch of rain, but up north they'll get slammed with between one and two feet of snow. We've had an unusually dry winter and need the snow pack to get through summer, so everybody is hoping this storm exceeds expectations. Everybody except for the people who drove down from northern states for a week's vacation and Spring Training games. If they planned to drive home for work on Monday they won't make it. Chances are very good that I-17, the only freeway north out of the state, will be shut down by the weather.

While waiting at Super Cuts I flipped through the most recent issue of Car & Driver. (They have the best  waiting area mags of anyplace I've been.) For every car review or test drive they have a spec box at the end of the article that lists, among other things, the MSRP and the price-as-tested.
Yikes! I had no idea that even very ordinary American cars are that expensive. I suppose it's understandable, given that they now have NASA-level technology built into them and can protect passengers from anything this side of a direct meteor strike, but I'm wondering how anyone affords a new car anymore. It must also mean recent model used cars are proportionately expensive.

The Rutgers student was found guilty for bias intimidation in the suicide death of his roommate, whom he secretly videotaped in an encounter with another gay man. The multiple count verdict included the attachment for a hate crime because it involved the dead student's sexuality. This raises several questions in my mind that I don't know how to resolve.
I can't make the almost ubiquitous hate crime designation work. Doesn't it imply that one person's murder is more heinous than another's because of (in this case) his sexual orientation? If the roommate had been heterosexual and filmed in a lurid encounter with his girlfriend, then committed suicide after the video was shown to others, the aggravating factor of "hate crime" would not attach. So how is this equal treatment under the law?

George Clooney was arrested outside the Sudanese Embassy in D.C. today.
In other stunt news, an Austrian man skydived to earth from over 71,000 feet.

I spent two weeks at the Motor Vehicle Dept. this afternoon getting the trailer registered. I went expecting difficulty and wasn't disappointed. But I understand; how often do they see a DIY travel trailer? She didn't know how to title it. Actually, that part of the process only took about 20 minutes. It was the 70 minute wait in line that seems...governmental. But I took a book.

I started by spending 30 minutes in a line outside before even getting in the building where I waited along with the rest of the crowd for my number to be called. Too many of them were centenarians renewing their license. There were also two dozen 12-year old girls in Daisy Dukes getting their first license. (Note: not every body is well suited to that particular wardrobe option.)

On the way home I stopped in to the RV place where I bought the roof vent and electrical hook-up to show Josh - the guy who runs the parts dept. He had asked me to bring it in when I got it done. It was nice to see the big grin on his face and hear him say "Awesome!" several times. He took pics with his cell phone.

Pam has to work tomorrow and Sunday, so we're going out for dinner tonight. I wish we knew of a quiet, inexpensive, not-crammed-with-people place where the wait staff doesn't show up every 5 minutes to interrupt your conversation with, "How is everything?"
Yeah, I know. But she's not that fond of Burger King.

1 comment:

BJ Goulette said...

I guess I need to jump on the obvious here. The "hate" crime thing is a little silly, for lack of a better word, to me. Do many people assault or murder for other reasons than some variation of hate anyway? If you are a member of a protected class and victim of a crime perpetrated by a member of a non-protected class (key element) then you are afforded some special "justice"? I get it but I don't get it...you know.