Saturday, April 19, 2014

"There is something about a closet that makes a skeleton terribly restless." - Wilson Mizner


I've had a busy and productive day. Made breakfast and then got the smaller of the two trees in the front yard pruned. Several branches had grown out over the roof and others were hanging at eye level or below, but today's haircut has it looking spiffy once again.

From there to Starbucks to spend some quality time with tomorrow's sermon. I'm eager and curious to see how many visitors come as a result of our efforts to invite the subdivision. As our first attempt at an outdoor service I'll also be interested to see what glitches pop up.

Lunch, and then I worked on the truck chassis. I painted the next section of the frame and the front springs, but I have to order more of this special coating. It's not cheap - about $35 for a quart - but it is magic. Scrape off the loose rust scale and paint this right over the top of the rest. It neutralizes that rust and prevents any more. It has an additive like rubber than means stones kicked up won't chip the paint off, exposing an area to rust. It won't hold up to UV rays so you need to topcoat with something unless, as in my case, it's being used on the chassis that will never see the light of day.

I worked on the shackles and pins that hold the leaf springs to the frame and discovered somebody cranked WAY too hard on the bolts, ruining the threads on the pins. So tonight I ordered replacements that will arrive sometime the end of next week.
Making progress.

Pam likes her new Chromebook. A lot. The full size keyboard is a lot easier to work with, but she says the biggest surprise is the unit's speed. Her netbook was really slow to do anything and I'm not sure why (except for the fact it ran Windows). She doesn't do any real computing so a defrag shouldn't have made any difference. No matter; she's happy so we're all happy.

Phoenix has pro teams in all four major sports. OK three major sports and hockey. I read yesterday that none of our teams have made it to the playoffs for the last two years. That's pretty sad when you realize that in a couple of those leagues half of the teams qualify for post-season play.

The house smells good. Earlier Pam made paleo banana bread and now she's working on paleo french toast for my Easter b'fast. Mmmm.

No comments: