Monday, April 21, 2014

"A box of biscuits, a batch of mixed biscuits." Say that three times fast! (or once at medium speed)

Not paleo but definitely tempting! Some maple syrup and it's all yummy.

Because the census (hospital-speak for the number of patients) was way down on her unit this morning Pam got a call from staffing telling her not to come in. Because of some changes they made a couple of months ago, including switching her to five 8-hour shifts a week instead of three 12's, that wasn't supposed to happen anymore. It messes with our income and with her frame of mind re. her work. If we knew ahead of time it was going to happen we'd make plans to go away for the day. But I had already scheduled things, so it felt like an opportunity and income lost.

Re. yesterday's Easter service, because we had no idea what to expect I can't say I was either disappointed or pleased with the visitors we had. We had visitors, and the Pathway people did a great job of being an open, welcoming group, greeting them personally. Our musicians brought their A Game, and the weather was warm, but not too hot. I think this is something we'll end up doing every year.

I washed the Falcon this morning and Pam got her car washed this afternoon. We're supposed to have 20 mph winds tomorrow, which means a fine layer of desert dust on everything. Ah, timing.

I think my favorite part of a car restoration is all the things I learn in the process. Today I drove downtown to Dunbar Spring and had eight U-bolts made to replace the bolts I had to cut off because they were so rusted the nuts would not budge. I could have ordered a set online but it would have cost me twice as much without figuring in the time and money for shipping. As an added plus I got to watch the guy make these. He starts out with a straight rod threaded at both ends and puts it in this hydraulic press that pushes the ends down and around whatever form he has placed in the center. In my case it was rounded for the rear axle and squared for the front. It took him all of 10 minutes to make these things, but he's clearly done this a few times before. He checks each U-bolt as he goes for the proper width and just bangs it hard on an anvil to change it ever-so-slightly. Pretty cool.

I told Josh at lunch yesterday that I need somebody to yell at me. I'm in a definite lull re. motivation to do my gym workouts each day. I don't have anyone at the gym I can connect with because I'm pretty much the only one working hard enough to break a sweat; eighty-three year old blue hairs aren't doing burpees, pull ups and push presses. It's too easy right now to stay home and work on a project here, or go to the gym and do less than a full-on workout. A big, mean coach yelling in my ear would help.

The Diamondbacks are in last place in the National League with the worst record in all of major league baseball. They've lost three times as many games as they've won, have one home win out of 13 games, and a runs scored/scored against number of -51. It's early, but that World Series appearance is looking doubtful.

We hit triple digits today. Let the fun begin.

No comments: