Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Are Mac 'n Oliver ever evil on camera?

Submitted by friend, Sue.

That line up at the top. Get it??

Pam's old netbook wouldn't work with our HP wifi printer. If she wanted something printed she had to email it to me and I'd print it. Would her new Chromebook work? Last night I did some research on the internet and learned about Cloud printing. Most recent printers, ours included, have an email address. Weird, huh? After a few fairly simple setup steps she now sends her printing job to the Cloud which then emails it to the printer.
We don't have to understand it, we just need to use it.

In my top ten list of songs has to go "The Children's Prayer" from the opera Hansel and Gretel. You can listen to an orchestral version of this short piece here. (Do you recognize it?)
It's a lullaby. The lyrics, translated from German:
Evenings when I go to sleep,
Fourteen angels with me keep.
Two stand at my head,
Two at the foot of my bed.
Two are at my right hand,
Two are at my left hand.
Two in covers tuck me,
Two at morning wake me.
Two that point the way to rise,
To heaven's paradise.
One could do worse than sing that to their children at night. OK, so the theology isn't rock solid but it's certainly no worse than "Now I lay me down to sleep...."

My brain ran on overdrive this morning. It's a potentially dangerous thing when the preacher gets this exercised this early in the week.

Israel got their rear ends seriously kicked when their army went up against the little town of Ai. They learned that happened because one of their own, a guy named Achan, had stolen stuff from their attack on Jericho a week earlier, spoils that were supposed to go only to God. Achan's offense brought harm to the whole nation, people who had done nothing wrong.

The sailors realized they were about to die in a horrible storm at sea. Then Jonah 'fessed up, telling them that he had disobeyed God and was running away on their boat. The reason for their distress was his disobedience, and the only way for them to survive was to pitch him overboard. He had to press the case, but they eventually agreed, one-two-threeeee'd the guy into the drink, and suddenly the seas were calm.

Does that dynamic come into play at other times? Now?
Does it ever happen that one person's offense brings judgment on a group despite their ignorance and innocence of the sin?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A) Forwards and Backwards
B) Ever? Sure.