Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"I won't eat any cereal that doesn't turn the milk purple." - Bill Watterson

I'm trying to figure out what this was before it all went so wrong.

I hope Prince Charles and Kate are as happy as they appear to be, and that it stays that way. Hard not to smile at what seems to be their complete joy with each other.

I had an extremely diverse day, just the kind I like. I was at Starbucks early working on Sunday and made solid progress on a number of the individual elements of both services. Have revisited those elements from time to time throughout the day. From Starbucks to Harbor Freight for a great deal on a 2.5 hp, 21-gallon air compressor that will be adequate for the truck's body and paint work. I got what was normally a $220 unit on sale for $150, and that's about half of what a comparable compressor from Sears costs.

I got a call from Emirates Shipping and things are coming together. The funds have arrived from UAE and will be converted into a cashier's check. The broker is currently securing a transport driver who, he expects, will arrive sometime the end of this week. Because the check will be drawn on Wells Fargo, the bank we use, there isn't any wait for funds to clear. They can verify it on the spot.

Methinks we don't appreciate the blessing it is to live and move about here in the U.S. of A. I do not like the nanny state we've become, but when I read about the dangerous operating practices of airlines in Malaysia and ferries in South Korea I'm thankful for the confidence I can have in the safety of transportation and other elements of our society.

I read an article on The Daily Beast chastising Crossfitters for disdaining cardio exercise, citing evidence that it does indeed have value for total fitness.
Huh??
I think that some articles criticizing one thing or another are written by people who have no real knowledge of the target of their ridicule. Anybody who does a Crossfit workout and isn't winded by the time they're done didn't do a Crossfit workout. No, distance running or cycling isn't part of the routine, but sprints (cardio), rowing (cardio) and other high intensity activities certainly are. And unless you're going to spend long stretches on a treadmill (boring!) how exactly does anyone get extended cardio at a gym? You want distance workouts go do distance.
And what does the paleo diet have to do with it?

I have a medical test at 8:00 tomorrow morning and I can't have anything to eat or drink, not even a sip of water, for four hours prior. That means I have to eat my b'fast by 4 a.m., at least 30 minutes before my usual.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I think that guy in the picture was juggling flaming pins.