Thursday, April 24, 2014

"There is little success where there is little laughter." - Andrew Carnegie


I had to fast for a procedure I had this morning. Not even water.
God was gracious by not having me born under the OT Mosaic Law with its required fasts. No way I would have made it. I came right home and had First and Second Breakfast back-to-back.

In an interview today President Putin said the internet was a CIA project and is still controlled by that agency.
I did not know Al Gore worked for the CIA.
But then I suppose if you work for the agency people aren't supposed to know. Sort of defeats the purpose of being an agent.

I'm fascinated by the Duluth Trading Company merchandise. It's too pricey for me but their ad campaign scores and their products make sense. Anybody try their stuff?

I took the VW's title to the branch of Wells Fargo I use, which happens to be in the grocery store three blocks from our house. They don't have a notary. Huh?
I also wanted to hear one more WF person say that the cashiers check would cash and the funds cleared immediately if the check was issued on a WF account. The gal said all cashiers checks require overnight to clear, then when I told her I'd heard otherwise from other WF personnel she changed to say I could cash it and have immediate access to the funds. But she got short with me. "Why don't you just have the person come in with you and bring the cash?"
Uhm, because he lives in the UAE?

I walked from there a few doors up the strip mall to a UPS Store where I got the title notarized for $2. Cheap enough. In the course of doing that she asked about the car and I told her I'd sold it to a guy who lived in the UAE. She'd never heard of it. I asked if I could use USPS Priority Mail to send the title to him and she said yes, but then speculated that in a country like that it could "get lost" in customs. I think she figured that if it had the word "Arab" in the country name it must be suspect.

But I got the same reaction from some friends who heard the buyer was from UAE. Yes, it's a Muslim country, but it is neither backwoods nor extremist. It is one of the richest countries in the world, one of the top seven petroleum exporters, and the site of Abu Dhabi, one of the grandest cities on the planet. Arabs are not extremists. Some Arabs are, a relatively small minority. Many are pro-western, courteous, and a pleasure to do business with - like this guy.
Racism?

No comments: