Saturday, September 13, 2014

If we're not meant to have midnight snacks why is there a light in the refrigerator?

From my friend, Sue.

I got the oil pump installed this morning, but consistent with Mr. Murphy's law the oil pan no longer fit.
Aaargh.
I have two oil pans, one from each of the engines, and they're slightly different, including different baffle systems inside. After too long it occurred to me to try the other pan and...it fit.
I didn't use it in the first place because it's pretty beat up (more GM engineering), but a beat up pan is better than no pan at all. So Monday I'll clean it up, paint, and install.
After that I couldn't help myself; I painted the engine and the bolt-on parts that could only be painted off the engine. I like the way it turned out. Now I'll make work of things like distributors (no margin for error), alternators, and water pumps.

Adrian Peterson used a switch on his kid because that's the way he was disciplined as a child. He left marks.
Not good.
Whether or not it constitutes criminal child abuse will be decided by the justice system, though perhaps not in a neutral environment given other stories coming out of pro sports. I don't know the details, some of which may be already in the media, so I'll leave it to the authorities to sort it out
Those of us (me included) who have disciplined our kids with more force than we intended, and left a mark in the process, know how easily that can happen, and how easily we could have been in Peterson's place.

Interesting info-graphic.
The antithesis.

Went for (paleo) pizza tonight to celebrate Caedon's ninth birthday. We moved to Phoenix about 11 months after he was born. Seems like forever ago.

Our local NPR station airs "American Routes" on Saturday nights. We listened to the program on the way back from pizza and had to turn it on here in the house when we got home. The hour was devoted to Johnny Cash, especially his early years.
I have a CD set of all nine of Beethoven's symphonies. I could easily have and enjoy other boxed sets from Handel, Bach, and Wagner.
I can't think of contemporary artists I like enough to want a complete set of their music...except Cash. His music is so real, earthy, and genuine. A life story to match.
The American Routes program did a great job of weaving his music and story together, much of it in his own words from interviews he gave shortly before his death in 2003.

Once again I'm concerned about tomorrow. After doing this for 40 years you'd think I'd be in a groove and take any given Sunday in stride. Nope. Still worry about getting it right, for Him.

No comments: