Friday, October 24, 2014

"I was born in very sorry circumstances. Both of my parents were very sorry." - Norman Wisdom


The problem with starting at 3:30 is that by noon I feel done. The work isn't, but I feel it.

I got my drive shaft back today. It was more than the quote but he showed me why. Doesn't make it feel any better, but because it was a verbal estimate, not written, I felt (wrongly?) constrained. Now if I can just get the brakes sorted out the chassis will be done.

Some Suns fans were upset they traded Steve Nash to the Lakers, division rivals. Looks like a pretty good move right now.

I'm gathering together the stuff I need for my ROAD TRIP, including a list of the NPR and classical music stations along the way, and the CD's I'll listen to for that long stretch through the central CA valley when the only radio options are country music and Spanish language. Included: my box set of all nine Beethoven symphonies. Because my morning commute is from our house to one of the three Starbucks within four miles of our house I can't justify Pandora in a car, but for road trips like this it would be nice.

In AZ you can do pretty much whatever you want, including all kinds of things that make no sense, IMO. Like carry a pistol in your your waistband as you walk through the grocery store. Permit? Pshaw! You don't need no stinkin' permit. Hey, if you want to walk around the neighborhood carrying an AK-47, you go right ahead. And get a clip that holds 146 shells for good measure.

Drive and text at the same time? Saw it twice while I was out this morning...and in both cases they were sitting at a green light.

On my drive to Seattle and back that wouldn't be such a good idea (talking on the phone or carrying my AK-47).
CA, OR, and WA all prohibit talking on a cell phone while you drive, never mind texting. You can, however, use a hands-free device.
Since I'm driving pretty much straight through I wanted to be able to call Pam and my folks to let them know how things are going (they'll both worry), which meant getting one of those hands-free devices. Ear buds w/mic that plug in to the phone, or blue-tooth headset? The former are deemed more appropriate style-wise I think, but I don't like a cord hanging in front of me while I drive and I still have to handle the phone to answer a call. So I opted for the blue-tooth thing that hangs on my ear. They're a lot smaller than they used to be but the dweeb factor is still pretty high. And I'm just insecure enough that I'll probably take it out of my ear when I go in to a place for something to eat and/or....you know...
Or I could just get a pocket protector to complete the ensemble.

Tonight my goal is to make it to 8:00.
I'm not sure it's gonna happen.

No comments: