Thursday, January 29, 2015

"I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to stop going to those places." - Henny Youngman


I'm really tired.
I don't sleep well, but it's (thankfully) unusual for me me to not sleep at all. Yep, awake all night, and aside from about 45 minutes this afternoon that's continued all day. The good news - I've accomplished a lot. It's pretty easy to focus in the middle of the night; what else you gonna do?

The tax stuff is all prepared, figures entered in their appointed places on the preparer's form, and the whole packet delivered to his office. (I did that last part after the sun came up.) The sermon is 90% done and the slides for the service made up.

I spent some time today detailing the Dodge and it cleans up pretty well. I got some relatively cheap black car mats, and between my utility knife and heat gun they almost look like they were made for the truck. I also ordered a new window run for the driver's door. I went to the Dodge dealer and they get $150 for the thing, but I found it online for $58. I'll have to figure out how to take the inside of the door off to install it when it arrives.

I should be pulling for Andy Murray, who's made it into the final,  to win the Australian Open. We're both Scots, have crooked teeth, big Adam's apples & noses, and have never been mistaken for a movie star. OK, there's the part where one of us has pretty impressive athletic skills and the other one doesn't, but other than that....

But I hope Djokovic wins the other semi and takes the final.
Murray is such a whiner. Melodramatic. After an unforced error he grimaces, swears at himself, swings his racket at the air, and generally acts like a spoiled 10-year old. Always carrying on.
He's the opposite of Roger Federer. If you tuned into the middle of one of his matches you'd have no clue if he was ahead 6-2, 6-2, or behind by that margin. Cool, classy, self-controlled.

Nobody has ever compared me to Roger Federer in any sense, but I want to handle life with the same equanimity that characterizes his tennis game. It's the only part of his life I know anything about, but I draw conclusions about how he conducts himself at home and elsewhere based on what I've seen of his behavior on the court under some pretty significant pressure.
And yes, I also assume Murray acts consistently off the court.

If (since) I believe God is both sovereign and good, shouldn't I be a Federer? Whining and carrying on effectively denies one or both of those truths. Doesn't mean stuff doesn't bother me, or that I have to be Mr. Stoic, but drama and complaining put the lie to my profession of confidence in God's care.

Now, if I could just play tennis.

1 comment:

Sue said...

One of your best pictures yet.