Saturday, July 11, 2015

The downside of tall trees

No clever quote, no funny pic, just a quick post as I sit here in McDonalds, accepting that their "food" is the price I have to pay for access to their internet.

At our place here we have no internet, no satellite TV, and no cell phone coverage. The Dish guy was supposed to solve all of that when he came this morning. Instead, we have nothing.

It seems the trees are so big that he can't get line-of-site anywhere to the satellites they use. The TV satellite would be iffy, the two internet satellites both blocked by giant fir trees. That's really too bad, because Verizon is sending me a special thing to plug into the modem that was supposed to be installed this morning that would provide a cell phone connection.

Nada.

On to plan C, which is a local provider who uses different satellites. I've got a call into them.

Meanwhile, I've got the hallway mudded and primed, ready for paint. The front door has the first of two coats. The hallway flooring is about halfway done - ripping up the vinyl that was under the carpet and removing the 36,000 staples. I had hoped to get the laminate down between this afternoon and tomorrow after church but that isn't going to happen, and I don't want to start that job and then leave for the camping part of this trip. So I'll do the flooring when we're back from Silver Falls State Park. What time I have after I've finished the flooring and painting I'll spend ripping out some deer fencing that we won't need.

Mostly, I get up in the morning, fix my breakfast, and get to work. That was 5 a.m. today (getting up). I run out of steam between 7 and 8 p.m. I had to come in to Eugene for supplies and to get online and make calls. Now, a stop at Lowe's for more supplies and then back to work.

It's not that there isn't stuff going through my head, but I haven't time to write it. Never fear; I'm saving it up.

No comments: