Friday, July 10, 2015

I'm not dead...yet

My apologies for the absence of posts, but I've been unable.

The drive up was long and uneventful. This drive took 23.5 hours including stops - two one-hour naps, one Denny's meal, and gas. I arrived at 4:30 p.m. and had things unloaded and MoHo up and running an hour later.

Since then I've been working about 13 hours a day on projects best done before we've moved in. I've been mudding ugly paneling so it can be primed and painted. The ceiling's faux beams got primed and painted so that now I can paint the area between those beams. I've done some work on the bathroom's plumbing with only mixed success, and I sprayed RoundUp 365 on areas immediately around MoHo. That's a newer product that both kills what's growing and prevents any new growth for up to a year. That invasive ground cover has to go! as do the weeds around the base of MoHo and Barnette.

This evening I'll paint the ceiling, prime the hallway, and maybe get a coat of paint on the front door. If all of that goes well I'll start installing the laminate flooring tomorrow.

Verizon didn't get me cell coverage. They're sending me a "range extender" that I'll hook up to the DishTV modem that gets installed tomorrow. If that doesn't work we've got a real problem.

Bruce loaned me David McCullough's book on the Wright brothers (on CD). I'm through six of the eight CD's. Excellent!!! I had no idea. You gotta read/listen.

The "city" of Veneta, two miles from Elmira, is hosting the Oregon Country Fair this weekend. Note that it's country, not county. Total hippy-fest that brings 30,000 people to this town of about 15,000. I've never seen so many gypsy skirts in my life, including on males. I think the number of guys wearing them outnumbers the women wearing bras. And the vehicles! Half a dozen VW vans of various vintages, converted school buses, Subarus....
The only way in/out of Elmira is through Veneta.

OK, I gotta stop by Lowe's to get more paint and then back to work. Don't know when I'll be back here but I'll do my best.

No comments: