Sunday, July 5, 2015

"The length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read." - Winston Churchill


I have a confession to make. In all seriousness, this is one that might put some of you off, maybe off coming to this blog again. But hear me out, and as you read understand that what follows represents my brain in process. I haven't got this figured out yet, I'm still working through it. I may never come to settled conclusions, but I'm convinced the exercise is, in itself, worthwhile. Fact is, too many people never give any thought to what they think about important issues, or why. So....

My Facebook feed yesterday was filled with patriotic images and declarations from people I consider very good friends and family, people I care about and respect. I usually read their posts with interest, glad to "hear" from friends I rarely (or never) see anymore. But seeing the eagles and flags, and reading the patriotic declarations left me feeling like an outsider, slightly guilty for not sharing in their enthusiasm for our country's birthday celebration. Because my gut's reaction surprised me a little I spent some time thinking about why I don't feel the nationalistic spirit so many of my friends clearly do.

I came up with a few possible reasons to explain my lack of strong patriotic feelings on the 4th of July.

  • I've never thought America was "God's nation" or in any accurate sense "Christian." I do believe he has uniquely blessed our country, but Brits and Brazilians could say the same thing. Too many American evangelicals have blurred the line between God and country with the result that patriotism becomes a measure of spirituality. I do not mean to say the absence of a nationalistic spirit is true spirituality, but reading those posts made me wonder if some of those folks see the two as essentially linked. Connecting them makes for very bad theology, and bad theology has implications for life. 
  • I am increasingly bothered by much of what I see our govt. doing and our country becoming. As I mentioned a few posts ago, the last 50 years has seen a rapid increase in secularization, and as with theology that trend has implications for life. The courts legalized abortion at one end of that stretch, and now gay marriage. Recreational pot is legal in four states and medicinal pot in 18 more. But note that in the latter category you find places like CA where the most ambiguous of diagnoses from Dr. McQuack will get you a prescription. At street level our culture is increasingly self-centered, materialistic, and openly immoral. Personal freedom reigns as the fifth and overriding of the set and the sense of community and duty to the whole has all but disappeared. I find it hard to shout, "Rah, rah, USA" when I see the current state of our state, both governmentally and culturally. Whereas no one would have argued in 1955 that the U.S. was a country with a Judeo-Christian ethos, even saying that now would likely get you clobbered for not being inclusive. What was orthodoxy is now heresy. Frankly, I'm not optimistic about where we'll be 10-20 years from now, but I'm guessing we'll look a lot like Europe. All of that and more has me reluctant to cheer for my country.
  • It's probably a sign of my advancing age; I identify increasingly with Paul's statement in Philippians 3:20 that Christians are, first and foremost, citizens of heaven. He wrote that to the church in Philippi where, because of a decree issued decades earlier, city residents all enjoyed the coveted status of citizens of the Roman Empire. Very few inhabitants of the Empire could make that claim and the Philippians were understandably proud of their legal status. Paul's reminder that their primary orientation was not this world and its political attachments, but the next world potently exhorts them, and me to care more about God and his kingdom. Again, this is not to say any expression of patriotism violates that higher value, but the skeptic in me wonders if there's as much enthusiasm for the Kingdom of God as the Fourth of July. 
Years ago a columnist for Sports Illustrated would occasionally write an installment he titled, "Things I think I think." My response to yesterday's Facebook expressions of nationalism has me thinking I think I don't feel very patriotic anymore. Hey, maybe I never should have, but I used to, and now don't. I am far less attached to 'merica and increasingly focused on my ultimate citizenship.
So there you have it. I didn't show up to yesterday's party and now you know why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think one can be patriotic and still view one's citizenship on the eternal level. Certainly, many of us have been discouraged by the votes of the USSC and/or the citizenry, at large. Many of our country's founding fathers were professing Christians but believed in separation of Church and State, allowing all faiths to co-exist within the constitutional framework (and revisions that followed). While America experienced rapid growth and development, our culture has deteriorated, similar to other cultures/countries where growth led to intellectual advancements which led to more liberal views, etc. One can look back to the demise of the Roman Empire or the weakening of the English 'empire' and see the rise and fall in relationship to the rejection, or compromise, of moral values. Nevertheless, while we look forward to one day receiving our heavenly citizenship, we still hold pride in many of our country's contributions to society in the arts, medicine, sports, manufacturing, engineering, etc. I'm troubled, however, of the position some take believing that our country "did it all", failing to acknowledge that citizens of other countries made equally valuable contributions in these areas. One can be proud without being Prideful. I'll also acknowledge that my pride in America has taken a blow due to attitudes, laws, and actions taken by citizens and elected or appointed officials in the past few decades. Oh well, America will be a lesser player within the world because of it....

Craig MacDonald said...

Sounds like we're coming from the same, or very similar place.

Sheila said...

I think i think similarly. No patriotic posts from me yesterday, but not because I don't love the U.S.A. I love my country, but not with sentimentality or religious-right glasses. I love my country probably just like Chinese, Russian and Iranian Christians love theirs: as a sojourner. I love her with a broken-heartedness over the immoral-quicksand she seems to be fast sinking into, while she sings the praises of her "freedom". I wonder how you feel about singing patriotic songs in church?

Craig MacDonald said...

Yeah, I wasn't singing along for those. The lyrics are a problem, and I certainly can't make that work for a worship service. Seems like a misplaced focus.

Sheila said...

Me neither... the kids asked why.

Mike Robins said...

I was a soldier stationed in a strange country. I didn't follow their laws because I had a president and chief commander whom I was to obey. (At the time, I was unsaved.) I lived with the people, learned to communicate with them, after a fashion, but i was apart, separate, due to my background, allegiance, and citizenship. Then, I died to this world and was born into a new life, and apart, separate, due to my allegiance, and citizenship to a government with a King. I am a stranger in a strange land, surrounded by people I do not have much in common with and with whom I have found a means to communicate, within a fashion. I died to this country, to this world. I am not a citizen of this country nor of this world. I do not obey a president, but a King. I do not now, nor will I ever, fit into this world, nor do I so wish. So, I can relate to what you are saying and feel a bit stronger about this than I perceive you do, from your writing. I am a citizen of the world that is coming, blessed be that day. This is the only world the citizens of this world have and it will reflect those of whom it is comprised, those who follow the prince of this world. To expect otherwise is to not understand this. God is going to destroy this world, not reform it.