Wednesday, August 26, 2015

"A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love." - Friedrich Nietzsche


I told Pam one of the things I'm most looking forward to in Oregon is the absence of deadlines. The last few months have included a constant sense of pressure to meet deadlines - get the house ready, finish the truck, and prep for Costa Rica as the biggies. Sitting in my chair has been guilt inducing with so many things on the to-do list. Unless something unexpected comes up the only deadline on Baker Rd. will be getting a chicken coop built by early spring. I think I can handle that.

Do I feel like working on Fred's rehab? Walk on down there, pick up a hammer, and have at it. Want to sit and read? The stack of books awaits. Have a hankering to visit the coast and see the Pacific? It's an hour away. To quote the Bard, "As you like it."

I read the Wiki article about the distinguishing features of Craftsman architecture and was interested to see which were present in our two old homes. Though both were clearly in that category neither had a hipped roof or especially broad eaves. Both had dormers and squared porch posts. Inside they had quarter-sawn oak, paneled doors, and clean lines. That article had a link to the subset of Craftsman homes known as Foursquare and it described our Perry home perfectly. It really was a piece of architectural art, and though it was the antithesis of a tiny house we look back on that restoration as a very worthwhile effort.

We met with Chad this morning for almost two hours. Brain overload.
While there we filed for SSI. Now we wait for them to call us and schedule an appointment at their offices to...I'm not sure what.
While there we got a call from our realtor who said there's a second person who wants to see the house before it hits the market, so we'll have back-to-back showings Monday morning.
The photographer is coming late morning tomorrow to take pics for the listing, so everything has to be off the counters, put away, etc.
And I've got the truck all masked so I can paint tomorrow morning. The plan is to have that done by 10:00 so I can be ready for the photographer at 11:00.
In the afternoon I'll take the Kia to get the brakes checked. I don't like the noise they're making and while I could do it myself I just don't have the time.

This is a pic I saw on a sports site this morning. It's from the Little League World Series being played right now and shows a kid from Taiwan and Uganda. (Guess which one is which.) The big kid just slid hard into second base and upended the little guy. He was tagged out, and this shows what happened next. Concerned that he'd hurt the little guy he checked to see he was OK, walking halfway toward the Taiwan dugout to make sure he wasn't hurt and communicate his concern.
That's what sports at any age should be.

No comments: