Thursday, August 27, 2015

"If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes." - Charles Lindbergh

Marriage

I was out in the garage at 4:30 getting things ready for paint. That process did not go smoothly and there are some blemishes that bug me. I have zero paint left of both colors so I can't go back and fix them unless I buy another quart, and this paint ain't cheap. I won't know for sure how it all looks until tomorrow morning when I take the masking off and get a look at things in good light after they've dried fully.

The photographer was supposed to show up at 11:22 (yeah, the odd specificity of that time struck me, too) but he pulled up at 10:45 as I was about to put on the second of three layers of clear coat. Aaargh. Pam had the inside all ready so he started with interior shots, went from there to the back, and by the time he was ready to shoot the front I had all three coats on and everything pulled inside.

I also had a guy stop by who told me he and his agent are going through the house Monday. So he's the second of the two who want to see it before it goes on the market. I was mixing paint at the time and couldn't stop to talk to him, which in retrospect was a good thing. We're better off letting our realtor do the talking; she's the professional. I'd likely say something she'd regret.

Donald Trump is crazy like a fox. (But not FOX.) I saw him interviewed on MSNBC this morning and he was even, considered, and, while thoughtful overstates it by a factor of 10 he didn't take the bait and spout one of his Trumpisms.
I think he's shifted gears. Having sewed up the ... I can't think of a charitable word to go here ... he's adopting a persona designed to appeal to a more centrist part of the party.
He didn't get where he is in life by not knowing how to play people.
And if that is what he's doing it scares me even more.

I saw one of the new Miatas this afternoon. I like it.

We are new fans of the HGTV show Fixer Upper and highly recommend it. You should watch three or four episodes, otherwise you might think the couple, Chip and Joanna Gaines, are campy, playing to the camera. You'll soon realize that's who they really are. I won't tell you anything more about them; you should discover it for yourself.
OK, one thing: we like that there's none of the faux conflict built in to so many shows of this sort. This couple (their family with four kids shows up occasionally) gets along, has fun, and doesn't take themselves too seriously.
Yeah, go watch it.

A couple of hours watching evening TV will convince anyone that our society is obsessed with the power of prescription medication to fix anything - including ailments I didn't know I had -  and the great evil that lurks on every doorknob and countertop. Germs are out to get us and it's critical that we kill them before they kill us. Sprays, wipes, soaps and cleansers, the only thing standing between me and a life-threatening disease.
I read an article the other day in which someone, I think it was a pediatrician, said the best thing a new parent can do for their kid is roll them on the floor of a New York subway.
Hyperbole, but I like his thinking.

No comments: