Thursday, May 18, 2017

"Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem." - Virginia Satir


Pam called this morning, which was nice. I told her I wish the kids lived here. I don't want to live there (she doesn't either), but I wish I could have more contact than is possible with 1,200 miles between us and such limited internet capabilities out here in the woods.

I've never been a parent of adult kids before so I don't know if this is the norm, but I suspect they don't realize how much they're loved. I tell them they are, but I feel much better when I can show it. Michelle had car battery problems my last morning there and I was able to take care of that for her with a simple trip to Auto Zone and a swap. Steve & Michelle were too effusive in their thanks, not realizing how good it felt for me to do something for them. Too few opportunities for that when we live in different states.

It was nice to have normal internet speeds while staying at their house. I forget how slow ours is until I'm somewhere with cable wifi and watch pages load so quickly. Then I come home and..................

Coming home also means a lot of work to do. Besides the repairs to the goat barn I mentioned last night and the completion of the addition, my walk of the place yesterday afternoon showed me how many other tasks are on the list because of my absence. It rained a lot while we were gone and everything GREW, including the weeds and the pasture grass around the fruit trees. Spraying and trimming. Lots of trimming. Enough that I may invest in a gas trimmer to replace the cheapest of all options I bought at Lowe's thinking that would be adequate. Nope.

For years my custom has been to watch the news first thing in the morning. I've put myself on a pretty strict no-news diet. Trump is such a horse's hind end and the press is having such a (justified, IMO) field day with his incompetence (or worse) that it's just too depressing. I think, "Wake me up when the bloodshed is over, the dead bodies collected and disposed of, and some kind of normalcy restored." Life will go on, I just hope it happens soon.

Last night President Trump told cadets at the Coast Guard Academy that he's been treated worse and more unfairly than any politician in history.
Julius Caesar might disagree.

<----- and="" by="" new="" old="" p="" side.="" side="">
Installing new rear leaf springs is progressing, but very slowly. I spent four hours this afternoon getting them bolted in place at the front and rear of the leaf. We're talking four hours to install six bolts. Tomorrow I'll install the U-bolts that attach the spring to the axle - two per side - and then drop it down to check my work. I measured the height with the old springs on so I'm curious to see what difference this makes.
Vintage Mustangs are known for sagging rear springs, but I think everyone's rear end drops by the time they're 61 years old.

The goat barn is mucked and clean, they have a new feeder made out of PVC pipe, the extension's rafters are braced and ready for sheeting, the weeds are sprayed with RoundUp, and the leaf springs are *almost* installed.

Coffee, cookies, and bed.

No comments: